Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm over 60K miles on my '05 Pathfinder and I'm thinking of switching to synthetic motor oil. Can I go up to 10K miles per oil change (a'la my Benz and Jag) switching to synthetic or the oil filter will still limit me to 3K-5K eventhough the synthetic will last longer than that. Also, is it true that once I switch to synthetic I can't go back to conventional oil? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
3,553 Posts
You can use any kind of synthetic you like, doesn't matter to the engine. You can go from dino to synth any time you like. Check the oil you use for recommended change intervals. Same with the filter.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
You can switch back to dino oil whenever you like. I'm sure the dealers use dino oil when they service and detail trade ins.

·
Registered
184 Posts
There are oil filters available that will be good for the lifetime of the synthetic oil. Everyone from Mobil-1 to Fram makes them. Look for words like "extended life" or "synthetic" on the box, then double-check to make sure it's geared for 10K miles of use.

If you can't find one, just use a regular oil filter and change that at the 3K mark. It'll only cost you a pint of oil or so to replace what was inside the old filter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I'll look for the "Extended Life" filters. The forum is always great to get answers. Thanks!

·
3,553 Posts
FYI, Fram filters are the worst you can buy. Go with Wix or NAPA filters if possible. The expensive K&N oil filters didn't get high marks in testing either. ;)

·
Registered
190 Posts
I usually change my oil and filter at the dealership every 2000miles.
They use filters which come in a white box branded NISSAN. Does anyone knows what company makes those?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts