Nissan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI folks

My Nissan is running great. The little sentra gets over 35 mpg and doesnt burn any oil.

I replaced the front oil seal about 5K miles ago.

I was just wondering about switching to synthetic oil? Has any one had any problems like leaks or anything when they switched to synthetics?

Thanks

Sunny

· Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,298 Posts
i didn't and my car is at 102K

· Registered
45 Posts
HI folks

My Nissan is running great. The little sentra gets over 35 mpg and doesnt burn any oil.

I replaced the front oil seal about 5K miles ago.

I was just wondering about switching to synthetic oil? Has any one had any problems like leaks or anything when they switched to synthetics?

Thanks

Sunny
I have heard horror stories of people switching to synthetic and it giving them leaks. This is due to the fact that synthetic oils usually have more cleaning agents. As time wears on sludge can form deposits withing your gaskets, the agents can break these loose and cause leaks. I switched when I got my 200SX (@ 115K) and didn't notice any problems, but this is before I knew this. So I guess it can be hit or miss.

· Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,298 Posts
I have heard horror stories of people switching to synthetic and it giving them leaks. This is due to the fact that synthetic oils usually have more cleaning agents. As time wears on sludge can form deposits withing your gaskets, the agents can break these loose and cause leaks. I switched when I got my 200SX (@ 115K) and didn't notice any problems, but this is before I knew this. So I guess it can be hit or miss.
All these old wives tales have a basis in fact.
So this is what I understand, please chime in if you have more information.

When the first Synthetics came out they caused the rubber seals to shrink because the Dyno Oil causes the rubber to expand and so normal wear was compensated. You added the new Synthetic and the seals shrunk to normal but worn size.
So lots of Leaks.
So the synthetics now have additives to produce seal swelling similar to normal Oil.
So no leaks. or at least no more than usual.
But don't be surprised if your front seal leaks again, mine was showing signs of leaking again before i switched to Synthetic but it is still holding.
So i would say I cant see a problem with the synthetic Oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.