Nissan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
422 Posts
its called the death wobble. Lower control arm bushings are bad. Reach under the truck right in front of the either rear wheel and grab onto the large bar connected to the axle and body. Youll probably be able to get it to move up and down an inch or so doing that. Where are you from? If your from up north and arent very experienced take it somewhere to get done.

3,604 Posts
It's not always just the lowers, check all 4 of the rear axle control arms (or links). Very common problem. The fix is usually to replace the bad control arms. You can also try to replace just the bushings but they're difficult unless you're handy with tools.

· Registered
422 Posts
It's not always just the lowers, check all 4 of the rear axle control arms (or links). Very common problem. The fix is usually to replace the bad control arms. You can also try to replace just the bushings but they're difficult unless you're handy with tools.
My uppers are bad, but what do they do exactly? While driving the wobble is gone since I replaced the lowers, and I have no problems no except for I believe a strut bearing is bad, but thats a different issue.

· Registered
24 Posts
Hey all, I've got this problem and an estimate for $500 to get all 8 bushings replaced. I'm trying to decide if I can do it myself but I really dont know what's involved in the process...

does any one know what makes it hard to do?

· Registered
422 Posts
Where do you live? I just did mine but from all of the road salt up in the NE the nuts and bolts were all rust welded together and I had to cut the bolt off...cutting grade 8 bolts its not easy. And if you dont have a machine press then even if you do get them off you still have to get the bushings pressed out. 500 sounds reasonable to me

· Registered
422 Posts
awesome, thanks for the advice... I figured this project was out of my fixing-car-skills league

livin in seattle, wa
well thats really for you to decide. The tools I used were: half inch drive rachet with I believe 14mm for the nut and 16mm for the bolt along with a breaker bar. I got two of the bolts off using those tools. For the two bolts holding the LCA to the axle I used a combination of angle grinder and sawzall with lots of blades. It is just time consuming, the actual process isn't really that hard just REALLY long...

· Registered
14 Posts
check you rear axle upper links, craw under the vehicle you should see there are 2 upper link connect to the rear axle, this is the common problem for the pathfinder from 1997 to 2000, you can buy the part replace them your self, about $150 at the dealer

Swaying indicate your rear upper link had collapse or bad bushing,if your pathfinder rear end fish tail when driving or go over a bump, then replace the links will fix this problem, prolong period will also cause the lower link bushing to damage which will cost more to fix

· Registered
422 Posts
check you rear axle upper links, craw under the vehicle you should see there are 2 upper link connect to the rear axle, this is the common problem for the pathfinder from 1997 to 2000, you can buy the part replace them your self, about $150 at the dealer

Swaying indicate your rear upper link had collapse or bad bushing,if your pathfinder rear end fish tail when driving or go over a bump, then replace the links will fix this problem, prolong period will also cause the lower link bushing to damage which will cost more to fix
Not true. I only replaced the lowers and that cured everything but the jittery rear axle over bumps...Any sway or wobble will be cured by simply replacing lowers but I would check the uppers as well and replace them if they need it simply for safety's sake...ill be getting into that this summer, Im just hoping that the uppers come off easier then the lowers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.