Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
FIVE SPEED&FOAM INJECTION
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sure I know the answer to this, but Im making sure before I try it. Isnt the 91-94 ga16de the same as the 95 to curent? As in..I heard they have different heads or cams or whatnot, but basically if I swap mine out for the newer one out of a 200sx or sentra wont my maf, ecu- etc etc still work properly? It should right?

Todd
91 nx

P

·
0 Posts
I beleive the intake manifolds are a bit different between b-13 and b-14. A few more sensors is all.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
If you're going to do a straight swap like that, consider getting a JDM engine. Or If you've got mad cash to spend, get a VE.

·
I command you to SEARCH
2,748 Posts
My 99 is ODBII, lots more emissions crap, and not worth swapping in. Get the JDM one if you are going to do a 1.6 to 1.6 swap.

·
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didnt think that there was a difference for the 1.6. I know the 2.0 has a ve, but the 1.6 does too? That being the case- the guy I bought it from had bought it when he was in okinawa in the navy- and anytime I have looked up anything like that there isnt a difference. I heard that the 95- current 1.6 is different, but youve gotta remember, what I want to do here is kinda put one together with forged parts so I can run alot of nitrous. Id like to stay with the 1.6, why waste the money swapping everything when its been proven that our engines are just as good and perform better to mods? Im going to bore it out and get the valves done, Im just curious about the whole head swap deal- I heard that could be done, but I dont wanna even bother if Ive gotta deal with swapping harnesses for sensors and b.s like that.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Well there's the SR16VE.. but that's not a GA. It's a stroked-down SR20VE with different cam timing schemes.. that so didn't answer your question but I tried. It may be totally different than the SR20VE but I know you can stroke an SR16 to 2.0 liters, which effectively makes it an SR20.. I dunno, I'm retarded.

·
Registered
323 Posts
i should probally search for this, and my appologies before hand if it's been answered, but one, does the SR20DE that comes in SER B14's have to have a different transmission than the GA16DE? and in cost manner, what would i be looking at for a swap at a shop? I know it's dependent on the shop but rough estimate anyone?

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Omega,

Yes you need a tranny from an SR20DE. They cost about $450 for a 5 speed. As far as a swap at a shop, I assume you're still talking about a GA16DE to SR20DE swap. Parts alone, you're talking at least $2K and labor I would guess at least $1K but probably twice that. You can have a swap done in Virginia by www.jgycustoms.com He's done several swaps. Ask him for a price.

·
Ive got a pickle 4 an arm
340 Posts
VE

ya, a VE may be an 16, but its in a SR shell, not a GA shell. wich means your basically swaping for an SR20DE/VE. all the motor mounts from any SR engine are the same. but a GA is completely different. too bad they never made a GA20DE.

so an SR20DE(t), SR20VE, and an SR16VE can all be swapped fairly easily between eachother.

GA16DE: no swapping partners availabe:(

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yeah, that's what I said, the 1.6 VE is an SR motor, not a GA. Anyone ever tried stroking a GA16 to 2.0L? I bet the cylinder walls are too thin to be bored out, so stroking would be the more obvious alternative. Is it even possible to do? Interesting to see what it would accomplish.

·
Registered
323 Posts
well i was thinking of swapping it(GA16DE) for an SR20DE, just because I'd like to start with a good base horsepower, well let me rephrase that, a higher base horsepower and just concentrate on cosmetic mods like suspension and body/interior. heh, i have my interior gutted right now while i figure out what i want to do with it all :) i'm guess this will be a good amount of money, i'm thinking of getting an sr from the junkyard along with the tranny and ecu so i can work on it until i can find a shop to do the swap, and the money. I don't know, my friend owns a garage with a lift and nice tools to work with, or at least not tools centered around car audio like mine heh. Well see I guess, So one more time what are peoples final vote for what I should look for?

·
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
couldnt you just bore a 1.6 to 20l or as close as possible? I knew about the whole "tranny wont work thing" before hand. Thats why I wanna stick with the 1.6. I have a dyno program on my computer and when I was seeing what would happen if you stroked the 1.6, I think it didnt really do anything. I dont know if you can fit the 2.0 crank in the 1.6 though- has anyone tryed that? what about the 1.8? SO, basically the answer to my question is- keep the 1.6 from 91-94. drop money on forged parts, bore it out and get a valve job etc etc etc and still not spend as much as swapping it out for a 2.0l. I dont wanna do that anyways. I like the 1.6 and since Ive found the sentra website its given me more confidence that I can actually make something out of that engine verses the 2.0l . It is true that with the bore and stroke, compression-that it is going to react better then the 2.0l to nitrous or the turbo that just came out.and duh- there is a turbo for it now so how cool is that? But, I already have nitrous and I wanted to build up my engine before I got a turbo (since I still have to save up for it:) so thats the reaon for all the crazy questions:D

·
I command you to SEARCH
2,748 Posts
You will also need the axels, and a bunch of other things.....

omega said:
well i was thinking of swapping it(GA16DE) for an SR20DE, just because I'd like to start with a good base horsepower, well let me rephrase that, a higher base horsepower and just concentrate on cosmetic mods like suspension and body/interior. heh, i have my interior gutted right now while i figure out what i want to do with it all :) i'm guess this will be a good amount of money, i'm thinking of getting an sr from the junkyard along with the tranny and ecu so i can work on it until i can find a shop to do the swap, and the money. I don't know, my friend owns a garage with a lift and nice tools to work with, or at least not tools centered around car audio like mine heh. Well see I guess, So one more time what are peoples final vote for what I should look for?

·
Ive got a pickle 4 an arm
340 Posts
Bore/ Stroke a GA16???

Now thats someting i'd like the guys at NPM to tackle, or at least explain why na or yay, if they know the answer already

you NPM guys listening??????

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Here you go Scarcrow. Read this article, you'll never look at the GA16DE the same way again. If anyone knows how to build a GA16DE, this guy owns that guy. Not that anyone can do this, or that it's more economical than an SR20DE or DET swap, but it shows you what the GA16DE is capable of NA if you know your shit.

Nissan Performance Mag Article

·
Registered
500 Posts
Here's a dyno chart of that built GA16.

http://www.mathermotorsports.com/html/dyno.html

Considering the amount of work that guy did to it, that's still pretty weak considering it's about as powerful as most modded all-motor GA16s, but the difference is that thing is definitely prepped for turbo. He needs to get it out of the dirt an into a drag strip with a big snail blower on it and show everyone what the GA16 is really made of.

·
Registered
323 Posts
that work plus some standard issue mods like exhaust, etc.. would be nice but I would like to see the dyno on it with a turbo add

·
1.6 Turbo Power
718 Posts
UnderDog said:
Here's a dyno chart of that built GA16.

http://www.mathermotorsports.com/html/dyno.html

Considering the amount of work that guy did to it, that's still pretty weak considering it's about as powerful as most modded all-motor GA16s, but the difference is that thing is definitely prepped for turbo. He needs to get it out of the dirt an into a drag strip with a big snail blower on it and show everyone what the GA16 is really made of.
if you check on the page it says that the dyno was "before" the rebuild, his pistons rings were blown, and oil pressure wouldnt rise above 40 psi.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Interesting (and tragic) oversight on my part. Even still, I'd like to see what that seemingly now rock-solid GA16 can take as far as forced induction is concerned. It would help the rest of us know the limits of the engine. Seeing as that thing will probably never see anything but dirt tracks at rally events, someone else is going to have to do this instead.

·
0 Posts
toolapcfan said:
Here you go Scarcrow. Read this article, you'll never look at the GA16DE the same way again. If anyone knows how to build a GA16DE, this guy owns that guy. Not that anyone can do this, or that it's more economical than an SR20DE or DET swap, but it shows you what the GA16DE is capable of NA if you know your shit.

Nissan Performance Mag Article

I read that article and that dude has more money than he knows what to do with, wastes alot of it ,too. I have found a sr20 eng,trans,axles,wiring,ecu for 1200.00-not bad,huh.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts