Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to swap out my 98 sentra gxe ecu for the 97 ecu....I'm doing this so that I can use the techtom MDM-100 on both my nx2000 and 98 sentra.

Will I have any problems?

Does the ecu have to be special in any way aside from a MT 1.6 federal emissions?

Thanks,

·
Oh, Herro!
2,337 Posts
The '98-'99 cars are OBD-II, which uses a different ECU than the OBD-I models. An ECU swap is unfortunately not easily possible, and even if it could work (which is very unlikely) it would not pass emmissions. The OBD-II cars' ecus are much more complex than OBD-I to comply with the stricter federal emissions regulations that recently came into effect.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
umm......no

all B14's are obdII

I was asking about swapping out the 98 (obdII) ecu for a 97 (obdII) ecu and if there are any ill-effects to this.

·
Registered
327 Posts
My 97 is obd II too.As long as its mt and not at it shouldnt matter but I'm not a expert{Just using common sense}I'm not to sure when they started the varible intake cam timming in the b14 mine has it though

·
Registered
393 Posts
the 1.6 from 91-99 is the same engine, except the b14s engine was tweaked a lil bit, stuff like the head, i heard the rings, and maybe a lil more.. which is why they make slightly more hp. im sure if you stay within b14 you should be cool.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think there is a little bit of a difference between the '98 and '97. I heard that there is just a jumper you have to use or something. Basically there are only 2 wires that are different and you have to accomidate for them...I'm not 100% certain though. Do a little more research before you do. Either that, or call up Jim Wolf Tech. and ask them what to do, because I know you can do a little bit of modding to get their '97 ECU to work in a '98.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts