Nissan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

I've got an 87 Sentra XE hatchback. I love this car. The exterior and interior are in fantastic shape and so i want to keep this car as long as possible. The engine, on the other hand, has 320,000kms on it. Therefore, im planning on swapping in a GA16DE. From what ive read, this will fit in perfectly and the wiring is the hard part. This is fine with me, as i will be doing the swap with my dad, who is a mechanic with 20+ years experience. He is very good with electrical work.

Before i jump into this project, i want to make sure i have all the info i need. Onto the questions:

1) Will my original headers and exhaust fit fine with the new engine?

2) What else do i need in addition to the engine, engine harness, and ECU? Do i need the fuse box? What about A/C? Can i block or remove it? What other parts should i scavenge when im at the junkyard to save me some trips and headaches? My dad wants to especially know about this.

3) Im gonna have to find the factory service manuals for both cars. Do dealership carry the f.s.m.s for cars this old? Otherwise, where can i get them? Other than ebay, as ebay doesnt always have them on hand.

4) Some people have mentioned that the passenger side mount will need grinding to have the engine fit properly. Is this true, and will anthing else need work to make room for the engine?

5) To the guys that have done this already: any other tips and forwarnings you could send my way, so that i can be prepared in advance?

Thanks,
~Mike

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
1= no the exhaust wont fit ... it is best to start with a 89-90 sentra as transmission will fit and most of the engine mount too ... 87 is a different engine and might not fit well.. you might/will need the engine mount and cross member from an 89-90 sentra

2- if you want to save the day : get yourself a whole part car (complete) so you wont be stuck without parts when you find you need them

3- dealers should have those and might be able to make you a copy of some pages you will need .. ebay is still your best bet... you can wait a bit, they might come up in search.. or look on the net..i founded a few there.

4- sorry cant help there.

5- here either

good luck :p

·
Registered
124 Posts
just wondering, but why are you going with a GA16DE?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
because i thought it would be a direct fit. I guess i was wrong, as Crazy-Mart mentioned. I think i have the E16 engine. Damn. I guess ill just have to find another 87 at the junkyard.

·
Registered
108 Posts
how about an E15T? I'm guessing you can use some or most of what you got to put that in. Or just forget it your dad is a mechanic, save up some money and get a CA18DET(mmm 175 horses). You'd be the only one with that kinda set up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts