Nissan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a few quick question's pertaining to 300ZX...I'm looking into buying a car...and in a few years...I'm most likely going to swap the engine for a newer...more powerful engine...I hear that the RB26DETT is a very powerful engine for the skyline...any possibilities for an easy swap into the Z? If not...what engine is a likely candidate for power in the Z? Thanks to all for help...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
307 Posts
i would go with the vg30dett, its allready powerful , but with a few little things it can become a monster.
 

·
ZPOOLNZ
Joined
·
1,609 Posts
Stick with the VG30DETT. It will make as much power as you can want and for less then the RB swap would even cost. In other words just go buy a TT.
 

·
Power FC Z32
Joined
·
2,147 Posts
TechN9ne said:
Got a few quick question's pertaining to 300ZX...I'm looking into buying a car...and in a few years...I'm most likely going to swap the engine for a newer...more powerful engine...I hear that the RB26DETT is a very powerful engine for the skyline...any possibilities for an easy swap into the Z? If not...what engine is a likely candidate for power in the Z? Thanks to all for help...
How much HP are you looking for and what is your real budget?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I make about $500 a month during school...and $1700 a month in the summer (No really...I do...) I'm looking to make maybe...350-400hp . I mean...is that outta line? Bottom line is...I'm looking for a sweet looking nissan...(the Z)so I can stomp all over these local ricers...
EDIT: AND I want something to stand up to the domestics at the strip...
 

·
Power FC Z32
Joined
·
2,147 Posts
TechN9ne said:
I make about $500 a month during school...and $1700 a month in the summer (No really...I do...) I'm looking to make maybe...350-400hp . I mean...is that outta line? Bottom line is...I'm looking for a sweet looking nissan...(the Z)so I can stomp all over these local ricers...
EDIT: AND I want something to stand up to the domestics at the strip...

I was not asking how much you make but how much you wanted to spend on your Z? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
ur goin to have to have a lot of power or some big turbos to keep up with some of the stang and trans ams in the 1/4. -T.A.'s with an intake and exhuast with run a low 13's.
Well good luck with what u do, i get about the same pay u get cause of school. Just save it and get a TT. :thumbup:
 

·
ZPOOLNZ
Joined
·
1,609 Posts
300zxowns said:
T.A.'s with an intake and exhuast with run a low 13's.
Actually the run low 13s to high 12s stock.


Just get a TT and work with the VG30DETT it will make about 400-450bhp without to much work or money. After that though things will start getting expensive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
First off, A TT swap would be the best choice for a swap, but you might be better off buying a TT.

It costs around 6-7k to have it done, and about 4-6k to do it yourself.
Misc. parts, hoses, harnesses, plumbing, and intercooler piping is what will run up quick.
not to mention a tranny swap, because the NAZ32 tranny housing isnt the same.

you will need the TTZ ecu as well, but you can get away with a boost controller and A/F
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
NA and TT trannies virtually the same

not to mention a tranny swap, because the NAZ32 tranny housing isnt the same.


No need for the tranny swap the only difference between Z32 trannies (NA snd TT) is a small difference in spacing of the starter. I've interchanged these trannies with no problem and only changed the spacer between starter and tranny.

Dave Lum
'71 510 VG30DETT
www.datsuns.com/red
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Have you ever driven a car w/ 350-400 hp? During school do you mean HS or College? Either way, I've been in college for 4 years now and just got my first nice car my senior year. A 1996 for 12.5k dollars. W/ insurance and car payments, and gas, and rent, 500 a month is just not enough.... Not to mention problems you might have w/ the z u purchase...and these cars arent cheap to fix. Not trying to spoil your parade, just trying to give you a little facts. I was dumb and bought my Z... I love it to death, but its made my social life alot harder due to the extra money i spend on it. Fortunately, i'm almost out and i'll get a real job and it wont be a problem anymore...But just dont wanna see someone get into something without thinking clearly first.

Just some figures for you
My payment a mo - 296
My ins payment a mo - 181
Gas per tank in Ohio - 40 bucks a tank.... Roughly 300 miles per tank...
Tires(i went through my yokohamas in less than 7 months and now i cant drive my car during winter till i get some new ones) - 800 -- It was my first rear wheel drive powerful car, just couldnt resist burnin some rubber.

Hope it helps man, good luck

I spend almost 500 a month on just car and insurance...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
get rid of the auto tranny!

-I'm new on this web site but love Z's, im very car knowledgable and can have my own Z for myself but im not interested in 4 speed Auto's, im into the 5 speed manual. i have a great buy on a 92 Z right at my finger tips if i want it but can do without the 4 speed Auto.
I really want to filled in on what it would take to do the conversion to 5 speed Manual as far as PARTS. (tranny,brackets,front clip?,etc.)

-I would love to know every part necesary down to the bone!

-if it cant be explained here could you give a website or link that could help me? (a web site that cuts to the chase no BS)

-the quality level in parts involved dont have to be crazy hop ups, just what a Z would regularly come with if it were stock (5spd). some recomendations on a level or 2 over stock (aftermarket) would be great if possible also!

and most important is it going to cost more that $3 g's in parts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
kjm852004 said:
-I'm new on this web site but love Z's, im very car knowledgable and can have my own Z for myself but im not interested in 4 speed Auto's, im into the 5 speed manual. i have a great buy on a 92 Z right at my finger tips if i want it but can do without the 4 speed Auto.
I really want to filled in on what it would take to do the conversion to 5 speed Manual as far as PARTS. (tranny,brackets,front clip?,etc.)

-I would love to know every part necesary down to the bone!

-if it cant be explained here could you give a website or link that could help me? (a web site that cuts to the chase no BS)

-the quality level in parts involved dont have to be crazy hop ups, just what a Z would regularly come with if it were stock (5spd). some recomendations on a level or 2 over stock (aftermarket) would be great if possible also!

and most important is it going to cost more that $3 g's in parts?


if anyone out there has the know how... please help me out that would be too cool
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top