Nissan Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a few quick question's pertaining to 300ZX...I'm looking into buying a car...and in a few years...I'm most likely going to swap the engine for a newer...more powerful engine...I hear that the RB26DETT is a very powerful engine for the skyline...any possibilities for an easy swap into the Z? If not...what engine is a likely candidate for power in the Z? Thanks to all for help...

·
Power FC Z32
2,318 Posts
TechN9ne said:
Got a few quick question's pertaining to 300ZX...I'm looking into buying a car...and in a few years...I'm most likely going to swap the engine for a newer...more powerful engine...I hear that the RB26DETT is a very powerful engine for the skyline...any possibilities for an easy swap into the Z? If not...what engine is a likely candidate for power in the Z? Thanks to all for help...
How much HP are you looking for and what is your real budget?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I make about $500 a month during school...and $1700 a month in the summer (No really...I do...) I'm looking to make maybe...350-400hp . I mean...is that outta line? Bottom line is...I'm looking for a sweet looking nissan...(the Z)so I can stomp all over these local ricers...
EDIT: AND I want something to stand up to the domestics at the strip...

·
Power FC Z32
2,318 Posts
TechN9ne said:
I make about $500 a month during school...and $1700 a month in the summer (No really...I do...) I'm looking to make maybe...350-400hp . I mean...is that outta line? Bottom line is...I'm looking for a sweet looking nissan...(the Z)so I can stomp all over these local ricers...
EDIT: AND I want something to stand up to the domestics at the strip...

I was not asking how much you make but how much you wanted to spend on your Z? :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
ur goin to have to have a lot of power or some big turbos to keep up with some of the stang and trans ams in the 1/4. -T.A.'s with an intake and exhuast with run a low 13's.
Well good luck with what u do, i get about the same pay u get cause of school. Just save it and get a TT. :thumbup:

·
ZPOOLNZ
1,736 Posts
300zxowns said:
T.A.'s with an intake and exhuast with run a low 13's.
Actually the run low 13s to high 12s stock.

Just get a TT and work with the VG30DETT it will make about 400-450bhp without to much work or money. After that though things will start getting expensive.

·
Registered
72 Posts
First off, A TT swap would be the best choice for a swap, but you might be better off buying a TT.

It costs around 6-7k to have it done, and about 4-6k to do it yourself.
Misc. parts, hoses, harnesses, plumbing, and intercooler piping is what will run up quick.
not to mention a tranny swap, because the NAZ32 tranny housing isnt the same.

you will need the TTZ ecu as well, but you can get away with a boost controller and A/F

·
Registered
6 Posts
NA and TT trannies virtually the same

not to mention a tranny swap, because the NAZ32 tranny housing isnt the same.

No need for the tranny swap the only difference between Z32 trannies (NA snd TT) is a small difference in spacing of the starter. I've interchanged these trannies with no problem and only changed the spacer between starter and tranny.

Dave Lum
'71 510 VG30DETT
www.datsuns.com/red

·
Registered
48 Posts
Have you ever driven a car w/ 350-400 hp? During school do you mean HS or College? Either way, I've been in college for 4 years now and just got my first nice car my senior year. A 1996 for 12.5k dollars. W/ insurance and car payments, and gas, and rent, 500 a month is just not enough.... Not to mention problems you might have w/ the z u purchase...and these cars arent cheap to fix. Not trying to spoil your parade, just trying to give you a little facts. I was dumb and bought my Z... I love it to death, but its made my social life alot harder due to the extra money i spend on it. Fortunately, i'm almost out and i'll get a real job and it wont be a problem anymore...But just dont wanna see someone get into something without thinking clearly first.

Just some figures for you
My payment a mo - 296
My ins payment a mo - 181
Gas per tank in Ohio - 40 bucks a tank.... Roughly 300 miles per tank...
Tires(i went through my yokohamas in less than 7 months and now i cant drive my car during winter till i get some new ones) - 800 -- It was my first rear wheel drive powerful car, just couldnt resist burnin some rubber.

Hope it helps man, good luck

I spend almost 500 a month on just car and insurance...

·
Registered
2 Posts
get rid of the auto tranny!

-I'm new on this web site but love Z's, im very car knowledgable and can have my own Z for myself but im not interested in 4 speed Auto's, im into the 5 speed manual. i have a great buy on a 92 Z right at my finger tips if i want it but can do without the 4 speed Auto.
I really want to filled in on what it would take to do the conversion to 5 speed Manual as far as PARTS. (tranny,brackets,front clip?,etc.)

-I would love to know every part necesary down to the bone!

-if it cant be explained here could you give a website or link that could help me? (a web site that cuts to the chase no BS)

-the quality level in parts involved dont have to be crazy hop ups, just what a Z would regularly come with if it were stock (5spd). some recomendations on a level or 2 over stock (aftermarket) would be great if possible also!

and most important is it going to cost more that $3 g's in parts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
kjm852004 said:
-I'm new on this web site but love Z's, im very car knowledgable and can have my own Z for myself but im not interested in 4 speed Auto's, im into the 5 speed manual. i have a great buy on a 92 Z right at my finger tips if i want it but can do without the 4 speed Auto.
I really want to filled in on what it would take to do the conversion to 5 speed Manual as far as PARTS. (tranny,brackets,front clip?,etc.)

-I would love to know every part necesary down to the bone!

-if it cant be explained here could you give a website or link that could help me? (a web site that cuts to the chase no BS)

-the quality level in parts involved dont have to be crazy hop ups, just what a Z would regularly come with if it were stock (5spd). some recomendations on a level or 2 over stock (aftermarket) would be great if possible also!

and most important is it going to cost more that $3 g's in parts?

if anyone out there has the know how... please help me out that would be too cool

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.