Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 200sx SE-R and i found a GTI-R motor with ECU and wiring harness...
I have searched online, on a whole bunch of different sites but i haven't really found anything on doing the swap with the 2.0L engine. Will the ECU work correctly? Will the intercooler fit under my stock hood? What else will i need? I have been told that it's pretty much drop in...i just need to know what other expenses there are before i start...

·
Have I Hit 12's Yet?
5,325 Posts
youll need the same shit as you would if your doing a Bluebird motor swap...i dunno if the ecu will work, but you should get a FMIC...however, the stock top mount will fit fine as long as its got no leaks

·
Drop-Out
1,892 Posts
If your car already has a Sr20de(2.0) its a derect drop in. You are better off getting your ECU reprogrammed by JWT. Most people get a FMIC, rather then a TMIC

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it!
Why can't i run the Japanese ECU?
Do i change the fuel pump?
Do i need to use the Japanese harness?
Also what clutch do i use, the DE or the GTI-R?

·
Drop-Out
1,892 Posts
SONiCBOOM said:
You can use a DE wiring harness which will plug into the DE wiring harness. If Im correct the JDM wiring harness dont plug into the US ECU. If you do the DET swap I would upgrade the fuel pump. For clutches, you can use DE( aftermarket of course)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there a reason why the GTIR, JDM harness, JDM ECU, JDM o2 and JDM MAF would not work? is there something that the JDM ecu wont operate in the USDM car?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
SONiCBOOM said:
Is there a reason why the GTIR, JDM harness, JDM ECU, JDM o2 and JDM MAF would not work? is there something that the JDM ecu wont operate in the USDM car?
The JDM ECU does not have the emissions-related signals required in the US.

Lew

·
Red line chaser
814 Posts
SONiCBOOM said:
Here goes.

1. You could run the J-spec ECU ONLY if you use the entire wiring harness for that motor. The GtiR ECU will not directly plug in to the B14 wiring harness. About the same as trying to plug a B13 ECU into a B14 car. Plugs are different and it won't fit.

2. You will definitely want to change the fuel pump just for insurance. If you plan on raising the boost, it's an absolute must. Not enough fuel = lean running motor under boost = blown up motor.

3. You don't have to use the j-spec harness if you send your ECU to JWT for a reprogram. Will be as much of a plug and play situation as it can get. Doing it this way, you could save on buying just the motor without all the other stuff you wouldn't use anyway. Or if you've got it like that, you could go with a standalone set-up. Cost some $$$, but you can get great results if tuned properly.

4. I'd advise using a stronger DE clutch with a lightened flywheel. There's something about using a clutch that you have no history about to put in a turbo car that doesn't sit well with me. Pulling the tranny just to swap out a clutch isn't that fun at all, so just do it once, put in the good stuff, and be done with it. With the right bolt ons and good tuning, a GtiR equipped B14 can be a monster. Definitely worth doing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts