Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey how hard is it to swap a red top SR20DET motor into a 240sx? is a weekend job, a month job, or what.? And where is some good cheap tools to help with the swap?

·
Registered
12 Posts
JunkfoodJunkie said:
Hey how hard is it to swap a red top SR20DET motor into a 240sx? is a weekend job, a month job, or what.? And where is some good cheap tools to help with the swap?

i am in the middle of it right now...and i started a week and a half ago. Here is the thing...I got the old KA unplugged and everything and out of my car in a day. I then sent the harness away to be modified to fit perfectly. I recieved that back in 4 days. My engine would have been done that day I recieved my harness back..But the place that sold me the engine gave me a broken mount bracket(turbo side) on the SR. And now I am waiting for that one part, which I can't find anywhere. The KA bracket will not fit. And it's pissing me off and its turned into a 2 week job, probably more depending on when i find the mount.

My point is that your project can be a weekend project if you have all the parts you need, all the parts arent broken and you do not send your harness away, if you are 100% ready. Or you could make it a 5-7day project if you send the Harness away. I was opping for the 5-7 day project. But that went down the drain.

·
Registered
12 Posts
With tools: Only tools I had to get was to rent an engine lift ($15 a day), bought a Jack from Sams Club and 2 jackstands. You just use your basic tools that you have at home, and you might need a torque wrench, and maybe a torch, incase you need to heat up a bolt to loosen it(I had to on my driveshaft)

·
Banned
1,899 Posts
If you know somebody that has done it before and work with them, then it should be a weekend job. If you have no clue, then it might take a bit longer.

·
Nissan Junkie
917 Posts
but give yourself plenty of time plan for a 2 week job that way you do not feel pushed cause that is when shit goes all bad and real fast. remember this is a hybrid swap not a simple engine R&R so there will be issues that will need attention and unless you are shit hot and 110% confident with your skills in electrical get the harness done professionally or buy one it can save you allot of headaches

·
All over your face!
2,384 Posts
I'd say for a garage swap, a week would be about right if you have everything. Its a weekend project swap wise, but fixing all the lil misc bugs that come with it should take up the rest of the time. This is not something to rush unless you've done it before and can practically do in your sleep. For sockets your going to need 8-17mm for pretty much everything on the car. Same goes for wrenches. Helps to have both. Also some sort of metal cutting tool if you are going to be running the side mount intercooler. It's already stamped where you need to cut for that. Its kind of an odd round edge triangle shape. But if you cut it out well enough all three pipes that come up from the smic fit like a glove.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts