Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really thinking about supercharging my sentra 1.8s instead of turbo charging it. Would it fit? If it does fit can I still install the NA upgrades for the car such as the hotshot CAI and headers?

·
Slashie
394 Posts
Pharrari said:
I'm really thinking about supercharging my sentra 1.8s instead of turbo charging it. Would it fit? If it does fit can I still install the NA upgrades for the car such as the hotshot CAI and headers?
You may want to check out the turbo sticky at the top of this forum. I'm not aware of any supercharger kits for any sentras at all, (except for custom kits), and honestly, I don't think anybody has ever tried to supercharge a 1.8L sentra.

I've looked at supercharging the 1.6 and the only way I could figure to make it fit without major surgery was to remove the AC compressor and bolt the SC compressor on in its place.

As for bolt ons, I doubt anybody really knows how well a header would hold up to a FI setup. I imagine it would, but it certainly wasn't designed for it.

Do a search for Turbo setups for this car, and check out the turbo sticky. I doubt you'll push more power than that with a sc. It will also give you a good idea of how much other parts may cost. (Fuel regulation stuff, injectors, etc.)

If you are adventurous, have gobs of money, and don't care if you possibly blow the engine, I'd say try it. Its undiscovered country and it would be interesting to hear your results.

·
Registered
258 Posts
procharger has a universal sport compact kit. i spoke to 1 of the representatives and he said that its possible you just need to do alot of fabrication. its more worth getting bolt ons than the supercharger.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tony200 said:
procharger has a universal sport compact kit. i spoke to 1 of the representatives and he said that its possible you just need to do alot of fabrication. its more worth getting bolt ons than the supercharger.
I thought someone on this forum told us to not use bolt ons

·
PowerdBySteamtoCookRice
281 Posts
tony200 said:

Universal Superchager... Sounds kinda fishy. Mike what do you have to say about this?

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
If you can get a supercharger to fit, and intercool it, go for it.

You'll end up spending more money to custom make the s/c kit than you would buying the turbo kit, and you'll benefit more from turbo.

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
I have seen more supercharger projects go sour than deer poop or something like that. If this isnt your daily driver and you are willing to spend a boat load of cash and risk some fubar'in, then go for it! But I'de reconsider honestly...

Also, considering a turbo is being done by a member on the forum here who has had much success (see old fart above me), I'de welcome that as it is perfect guidelines and proof that the turbo works on the QG.

·
g33k/gamer/QR nerd
445 Posts
NickZac said:
I have seen more supercharger projects go sour than deer poop or something like that. If this isnt your daily driver and you are willing to spend a boat load of cash and risk some fubar'in, then go for it! But I'de reconsider honestly...

Also, considering a turbo is being done by a member on the forum here who has had much success (see old fart above me), I'de welcome that as it is perfect guidelines and proof that the turbo works on the QG.

Supercharging in the visual sense.... is better on a v-block motor rather than in an inline 4... like the pathfinder for instance? early 90's pathfinders? lol :thumbup:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Jarek said:
Supercharging in the visual sense.... is better on a v-block motor rather than in an inline 4... like the pathfinder for instance? early 90's pathfinders? lol :thumbup:

I thought that was a stupid idea because superchargers drain to much power from the car to make it worth while.

·
g33k/gamer/QR nerd
445 Posts
oakey66 said:
I thought that was a stupid idea because superchargers drain to much power from the car to make it worth while.
If im not mistaken, it really depends on how much power loss is incurred by adding an additional pully to the entire belt and pulley system of a particular vehicle.... so basically if you lose more power than than you getting out of the SC then well evidently its not worth it. Some vehicles benefit others dont... thats whats the beauty about turbos.... with enough work they can be placed on almost any vehicle. Just requires some $$$

Ive watched and read about an 87 pathfinder with the VG30 supercharged... well they got pretty damn good results, they cut down the 0-60 time about 3-4 seconds over N/A so... thats pretty damn good. also theres more room on a V block motor.. an Inline motor is small for a reason, small vehicle small motor... Inline 4 = turbo > supercharger

and thats my two cents on it

·
Registered
63 Posts
Jarek said:
If im not mistaken, it really depends on how much power loss is incurred by adding an additional pully to the entire belt and pulley system of a particular vehicle.... so basically if you lose more power than than you getting out of the SC then well evidently its not worth it. Some vehicles benefit others dont... thats whats the beauty about turbos.... with enough work they can be placed on almost any vehicle. Just requires some $$$

Ive watched and read about an 87 pathfinder with the VG30 supercharged... well they got pretty damn good results, they cut down the 0-60 time about 3-4 seconds over N/A so... thats pretty damn good. also theres more room on a V block motor.. an Inline motor is small for a reason, small vehicle small motor... Inline 4 = turbo > supercharger

and thats my two cents on it
That's exactly what I thought. I've read horror stories about how people put custom superchargers on a 4 cylinder and had the thing die on them because the engine fell short when driving the belt of the supercharger.

·
Drifting is for amatures
1,578 Posts
some guy on here made one.. and underestimated what could happen.. he took a supercharger off a mercedes, and slapped it on a GA, after 3 days of running, he decided to hook up a boost guage.. and found he was boosting 18psi... right before he blew his motor, Then sold the kit on e-bay

·
g33k/gamer/QR nerd
445 Posts
Chuck said:
some guy on here made one.. and underestimated what could happen.. he took a supercharger off a mercedes, and slapped it on a GA, after 3 days of running, he decided to hook up a boost guage.. and found he was boosting 18psi... right before he blew his motor, Then sold the kit on e-bay
lol.... with probably stock internals? jeez poor GA

1 - 14 of 14 Posts