Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 sentra GXE and was wondering if it is possible to supercharge this. Does anyone make a supercharger for this car yet?? Jackson?? I want to get more power through out the power band not just high end like with a turbo charger.

·
Registered
327 Posts
before i heard about the hs tubo kits coming out i was looking into supercharging...as to be different..some of those no# in a previous thread are off alittle..vortec has sc with near identical efficency no#'s...v5 has 93% and a couple others has 96%....i was thinking a vortec kit for a si civic might be made to work if you
flip flop the mounting and made some custom hardwear...but still thats need some seriuos know how..i work for a machine shop and it wouldn't be so hard for me...and id be scared it would be to much and blow it up..you'd have to figure out the pulley size and the boost being produced...turbos are the choice for big no#'s...and since there will be a couple kits already to go it would be alot easier and safer...if i had the spare 6k to spend id try it..
but i dont..so the tubo is going to be my choice..about half the price with much more pridictable results...

·
Registered
672 Posts
wouldnt getting a supercharger be like getting a turbo:: it would fit if u make it? like,, lest say uno one makes a turbo kit for a car, yet u have a manifold machined and tune the ecu and all the other stuff..would it be the same or diffrenet?

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But the thing about supercharging is that you get the power all across the power band, which i might add is needed in the lower rpms on this weak GA16. Turbocharging only works at high RPMS at I believe WOT.

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well they cant be that bad as they do have them in many cars such as Jaguars, and they do improve fuel economy. With the turbo, you have to fine tune it to get it to kick in at around the same time as a supercharger.

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
Trust me, the work you do to size a turbocharger right is well worth the trouble. Think about it, a supercharger runs off the engine to build boost, the energy to drive it is from the engine which you loose power in the process... a turbo RECYCLES energy which otherwise would be lost in the exhaust.

Why do jaguars have superchargers? I would guess it's because they have huge friggin engines and the roots style supercharger can move a large amount of air very fast (but inefficently)... who knows.

BTW no forced induction improves fuel economy... that's a lie. More air needs more fuel... that's just that.

·
Registered
672 Posts
i feel like no one answered my question? wouldnt getting a custom supercharger be like getting a custom made turbo kit?

·
Registered
672 Posts
James said:
yeah the amount of labor is about the same. you have to create the mounts for the supercharger and find belts that will fit the new length. Some of the centrifugal superchargers are self lubed so they don't need an oil line. other than that the piping is the same too.
thank ye very much:)

·
Registered
235 Posts
James said:
yeah the amount of labor is about the same. you have to create the mounts for the supercharger and find belts that will fit the new length. Some of the centrifugal superchargers are self lubed so they don't need an oil line. other than that the piping is the same too.
It depends if you get an intercooler. With Superchargers it isn't common to have one. That is one reason why turbo systems are better. SC are less efficient also.

Slap a good T25 on a 4cyl and it should eat up a SC car and will cost less than Supercharging. This is assuming you don't half-ass either system.

·
Registered
12 Posts
heck why not put both on that little GA an see what happens?

i would go with a turbo over a supercharger just based on the ease of boost control. if you want to change boost on a SC you have to change the pulley...or you can use a boost controller but it becomes a piping nightmare.

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
SXSENIS said:
before i heard about the hs tubo kits coming out i was looking into supercharging...as to be different..some of those no# in a previous thread are off alittle..vortec has sc with near identical efficency no#'s...v5 has 93% and a couple others has 96%....

Where did you get this info? No centrifugal supercharger even comes close to this. Look at the compressor maps at vortech's web sight. Centrifugal superchargers are lucky to get into the 70 percent range and if you look at the pressure ratios they do this at, it is really low.

I also dispute the accuracy of these maps as when I look at the wheels, the sweep angles are wrong, no diffusor, etc. A well engineered OEM type supercharger like the Borg-Warner still only has 70% efficency at a very low pressure ratio, not enough to make serious power on a small displacment motor.

Turbos are the only way to go.

Mike

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
Teknokid said:
OKay I have heard nothing but negative stuff about Supercharging. If it is so bad, why even do it?? Why even make superchargers.
If you want to know all the details, read my turbo series in SCC.

Mike

1 - 20 of 38 Posts