Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
check this out guys, i have a 96 sentra gxe, i replaced the starter about 6 months ago................it was working fine up until about 3 days ago, now everytime i turn on my car(when cold) it engages, but it makes this annoying squeeling noise right after the car engages(loud)........can my starter be going bad again?? or is it something else like belts or something

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
My 91 did the same thing! starter lasted about a year then died. so i would get it replaced soon before it leaves you stranded!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Does it sound like something is spinning? And does it remain on? Nah, it can't be... That only happened to me that the starter remained on :). Anyway, it sounds like the belts are loose and needs tighthening. The symptom is cold weather squeels.

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
mine would spin with the engine untill the starter would disingage, the starter gear that pushes out gets stuck, after a year thats what trashed it out.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Both my '93's have done that especially when its cold. When I've got my starter out to do my clutch in the SE-R, I'm going to take it apart so I can grease the shit out of that gear and shaft that the solenoid pops in and out. I've heard this is the only way to fix it. The XE did it for the three years I owned it, and when I had the starter out during my clutch replacement a few months ago, other than the teeth being marred, nothing else looked bad, the flywheel looked ok. It's easy enough to take the starter out, I'd just take it out, apart, and grease the fucker up and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
117 Posts
landlord said:
mine would spin with the engine untill the starter would disingage, the starter gear that pushes out gets stuck, after a year thats what trashed it out.
Hey, at least your starter wheel would disengage. I swear mine would stay on until the battery dies. I had to disconnect the battery and disconnect starter harness. Because once mine started spinning, it stayed spinning even if I take off the key from the ignition.

Also, that only happened to me twice in one month using Autozone's rebuilt starters. My original starter just died. Just the Autozone starters I had would get stuck spinning. I'm on 6 months on the 3rd Autozone starter and no problems yet.

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
Sherb said:
Hey, at least your starter wheel would disengage. I swear mine would stay on until the battery dies. I had to disconnect the battery and disconnect starter harness. Because once mine started spinning, it stayed spinning even if I take off the key from the ignition.

Also, that only happened to me twice in one month using Autozone's rebuilt starters. My original starter just died. Just the Autozone starters I had would get stuck spinning. I'm on 6 months on the 3rd Autozone starter and no problems yet.

dude that sucks....... BAD

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
belts-fan?

some chick at work told me she had the same problem with her car and that it was a fan belt......lol.....then later, i told the 'mechanic' at my job about it and he said my belt, since its cold, it does some shit, but once the belt gets hot, it gets 'sticky' so it doesnt make that noise anymore(once the engine gets hot) because it only made the squeeling noise right after the starter disengages......then it would stay quiet....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts