Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a couple of questions about our b14s...

my runroof has a nasty rattle every time i drive through bumps on the road. it sounds like a panel or something is paddling the parts above and below it up and down. does anyone else have this problem, or know how to fix it?

i want to get my windows tinted. the dude at the shop says 200 bucks for 5 windows for my 2 door coupe. that is full price for the two small windows in the back. is that usually how it goes, or is he trying to rip me off?

my front bumper is busted and i am replacing it with another stock bumper. does anyone know if the stock bumpers ALWAYS have the rectangular grooves for the license plate or do they also supply the same bumper w/o the license groove? the body shop guy told me that they all have the groove, but i don't think he knows his stuff.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sunroof:
Mine does the same thing. There is a small sheet of metal on the front part of the sunroof visor that after a while shakes loose and rattles. I've been trying to figure out a way to cure this. I was thinking about just pulling off that piece, but haven't done anything about it yet.

Tint:
$200 for a good tint job all around isn't rediculous. I paid about $190 to get my front sides, the rear quarter windows, and the back window tinted. I'm extremely happy with the work, so it was worth it to me. In my mind, as with anything with cars, you get what you pay for. So, I usually shop around, find what I want from the shop with the best rep, and get it there.

Front bumper:
If you want, you can get a '98 bumper. It doesn't have the squared out area for the license plate, and it'll bolt up to other B14's with no problem. It's just a matter of tastes as to whether you like the earlier B14 bumper, or the '98 bumper.

·
0 Posts
dans200sx said:
a couple of questions about our b14s...

my sunroof has a nasty rattle every time i drive through bumps on

i want to get my windows tinted. the dude at the shop says 200 bucks for 5 windows for my 2 door coupe. that is full price for the

stock bumper. does anyone know if the stock bumpers ALWAYS have the rectangular grooves for the license plate or do they also
For the sunroof, as mentioned, there is that metal piece. If you look (when closed) through the sunroof, you'll see it and you'll also see some screws (maybe 4 or 5) across that metal piece. You'll need one of those screwdrivers that goes up, across and up again. I don't know what they're called. But they're designed for getting into tight areas like this. Peter Jackson lent me his at the 2001 SE-R Convention and I partially fixed it. My problem was that the screws threads were screwed up and wouldn't go in! :(

Tint... I don't know for sure but it sort of makes sense. He still needs to spend the time working on that window and it's a little more difficult to get to. Labor vs material, the material costs less because of less surface area yet the labor would be more because it's more difficult to get to. Might be legitimate

As for the bumper, I didn't think they made bumpers without the license cutout because some states require front plates so they all need that option... oh well, guess I'm wrong

·
Registered
70 Posts
I too have the rattle in the sunroof. 02 Almera is right about the scews being loose. But when I tried to tighten them they just turn as if they were stripped or not catching the thread on the back plate. My window were tinted for about $175 and they have a lifetime warranty. I also was forced to remove the tint from the passenger and driver side windows after multiple tickets.

·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
in cali the front license is required, but in my city the cops dont really care. i want a bumper w/o the plate cuz i think it makes my car look cleaner. i tried browsing through some pictures of b14s on a couple of forums and on yahoo but there weren't many to look at. i did notice one picture claimed to be a 98 200sx but his bumper had the license plate cuttout. the 98 and 99 sentras don't i think. would a 99 sentra bumper fit onto a 86 200sx with no problem? i would gladly take a sentra bumper if the body shop can only get license-plate-ready bumpers for a 98 200sx.

a lot of ppl here also have tints on their front windows, but cops also ticket them. maybe i can just ignore their fix tickets if i get them :D

·
0 Posts
dans200sx said:
in cali the front license is required, but in my city the cops dont really care. i want a bumper w/o the plate cuz i think it makes my car look cleaner. i tried browsing through some pictures of b14s on a couple of forums and on yahoo but there weren't many to look at. i did notice one picture claimed to be a 98 200sx but his bumper had the license plate cuttout. the 98 and 99 sentras don't i think. would a 99 sentra bumper fit onto a 86 200sx with no problem? i would gladly take a sentra bumper if the body shop can only get license-plate-ready bumpers for a 98 200sx.
I'll ask a friend with a 98 if he's got a front cutout... when he gets up. Also, I think you meant to say 'will a 98 bumper fit a 96 200SX' If you *MEANT* to say an 86 200SX, I'll guarantee you it won't. A 96 200SX, it should

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have a '98 200SX, and it does not have the license plate cut out in the front bumper. And yes, a '98 front bumper will bolt up with no problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts