Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Gotta Represent
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well anyway, it is time for me to buy a sound system, and i already have a sony xpold head unit, 6 audiobahn 6x9 speakers, and two audiobahn amps, one for the highs, and one for the lows. waht my question is, what should i do, go with two twelves, three tens, or just one fifteen. remember that i have a b14 sentra, so space is limited. i am thinking of going with a 15, but will that hit as hard as two 12's?

·
^ ownz you all ^
2,524 Posts
assuming the excursion is similar, 2 12's is about the same as 3 10's, and 2 15's is about the same as 3 12's. So 2 12's will be slightly louder than 1 15, but it will also be much more expensive (both for the subs themselves and for power, since you need twice as much power).

I went for a single 15 myself, but it's one of the highest displacement 15s out there. If you went with something not quite as retarded then maybe 2 12's would be better, but honestly I think 1 decent 15 should be enough. Besides, you could always port it if sealed isn't loud enough for you.

·
Registered
291 Posts
first question...why so many 6x9s? Lose 4 of the 6, and get 2 10s. They will have effectively more cone area than 1 12", so more dislpacement...more displacement = more Bump (spl).

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
I say first invest in speakers and head unit that aren't crap......THEN get a subwoofer or two with a good amp ;)

·
^ ownz you all ^
2,524 Posts
Nismo240 said:
2 12" subs..... one fifteen won't touch that
I just love blatant generalizations that 90% of the time are completely wrong

if you were talking about the exact same sub in 12" vs 15" models then you would be partially right, the 12's would have the potential to be ever so slightly louder, but no where near the amount that you're implying. But if you take that extra money that you save by going with 1 15" sub instead of 2 12" subs, you can get a 15" sub that's 1-2 models higher and has nearly twice the excursion of the 12's. If you do that then the 15 will easily be louder than the 2 12's, and since it's a higher model it will most likely have better sound quality as well.

·
USACI here I come
440 Posts
chimmike said:
I say first invest in speakers and head unit that aren't crap......THEN get a subwoofer or two with a good amp ;)
I'd like to second the motion

·
Atheist Libertarian
669 Posts
There are so many variables involved in stacking speakers up against each other, that you cannot really answer a question about size alone. Thats like asking "what car is faster, a sedan or a full sized?" Choose a size you like for your application, make a QUALITY speaker purchase, and load it with solid power... You won't be disappointed.

·
Atheist Libertarian
669 Posts
Punkrocka436 said:
RE XXX 15 vs 2 Sony Xplod 12's

The 15 would kick the crap out of that.
What if the RE was pushed by a Pyramid amp, and the Sony's had a Zapco pushing them? :thumbup: Sorry, had to be a smart ass....

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Way too many variables in speaker types.

Such as 2 Walmart 10"s could be blown out by a JL 8"

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
sr20dem0n said:
I just love blatant generalizations that 90% of the time are completely wrong

if you were talking about the exact same sub in 12" vs 15" models then you would be partially right, the 12's would have the potential to be ever so slightly louder, but no where near the amount that you're implying. But if you take that extra money that you save by going with 1 15" sub instead of 2 12" subs, you can get a 15" sub that's 1-2 models higher and has nearly twice the excursion of the 12's. If you do that then the 15 will easily be louder than the 2 12's, and since it's a higher model it will most likely have better sound quality as well.
if your spending the same amount on either set up then 2 12's would be better then 1 15 (as long as your spend your money right) and of course if they were the same subs and only diffence was the 12 compared to a 15 then he's right.

·
^ ownz you all ^
2,524 Posts
xbrandonx said:
if your spending the same amount on either set up then 2 12's would be better then 1 15
are you serious?

If you keep the money the same, you can step up 1-2 models or more by switching to a single larger sub. This sub will most likely have at least as much output as a pair of the lower 12's, and the sound quality will improve as well because it's simply a higher quality sub (remember, it's several models higher).

Go ahead and try to prove me wrong, but you won't be able to, when it comes to output and quality for the dollar, a single sub of the largest size is king.

·
USACI here I come
440 Posts
Have you ever heard a single JL10W7 in a properly sized vented encosure with 1000watts compared to 2 or 3 10" or 12" average brand subs?

For alittle more you can get something that dosn't move as much air but is really freakin loud.

·
^ ownz you all ^
2,524 Posts
the 10w7 is good but overpriced, for the same amount you could build a setup that would absolutely rape it in output and still have comparable sound quality. It won't be a couple of average 10's or 12's though, like I said above, when it comes to output and quality for the dollar, a SINGLE sub of the largest size is king.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just get two alpine type x subs my friend killed this guy sound system and he had two w7 the alpines bumps hard

·
Banned
408 Posts
GODS_FAVORITE said:
Just get two alpine type x subs my friend killed this guy sound system and he had two w7 the alpines bumps hard
hahahahaha

1 - 20 of 32 Posts