Nissan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I dont want any of you guys to get pissed at me or anything. I know nothing about sentras, but i got one for free, and i need some help. First off it is a 1987 nissan sentra, 4 door, standard. It has 352,987 km on it, is that too much? if i maintain this car the way im supposed to, roughly how many km will i get out of it? It has a broken valve, so its basically running on three valves, and the oil leaks in through this broken valve and makes the engine smoke everytime you turn it on, it also has a broken fuel gauge, the gauge does not respond to any amount of gas in the tank, and also the heater doesnt work (i live in canada so i have to have a heater). My question is are all these problems fixable in under $600 canadian dollars? aka $400 US. Also, it has some rust, on the inside of the door and the hood and the side panels, is this easily fixable? if so how do i do it? if anyone can help with any of these questions, it would be very helpfull. thanks.

ps- please dont get pissed at my dumb questions, like i said, i know nothing about cars, well a little, but not enough.

:newbie:

·
Registered
275 Posts
I would like to say you could get it done for less than 600$ but because of the valve im sure it would be more. The gas gauge not working could just be a bad sender unit or a fried voltage regulator behind the gauge cluster. The heater is pretty easy to swap out from what I can see ( dont quote me on that one ). It's nice to know there's some Canadian sentra's with 300+km on them. Mine has 167xxx km on it as of today. I'd love to see it get to 300. As for the rust, your best bet would be to check out your local junkyard and probably find some that are in better shape. Hope this helps

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Drop in a E15 from Ebay for 300 US bones. Then goto the junkyard and get some non-rusty parts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply muccman, yeah i dont know if 350K is too much for my car, if its even worth spending money on it.

"Drop in a E15 from Ebay for 300 US bones. Then goto the junkyard and get some non-rusty parts."

Whats a E15? is it an engine? if so, how is it better than the one i have now? btw whats the one i have now called? what did the 1987 sentra come standard with?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh, also, can i get an E15 out of a local junkyard instead of buying it off ebay? cus with insurance and shipping the cost to buy one is around 600 US...and thats a bit much since i wanna do it all in about that much money. im really worried that spending anything more on my car will be a waste since there are so many km on it.

·
just rattle can it
453 Posts
You could obtain a rebuilt cylinder head off of Ebay for next to nothing if you're up to swapping it in, or even having someone install it for you for not to much. This means you'll have all new seals in the head and prevent a lot of problems down the road (not to mention take care of the current problem). Here's one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=7962160581&category=33617&sspagename=WDVW

It's not a very difficult install if you have the right tools and a little bit of mechanical inclination. I could even talk you through it if you want.

I tend to be a replace-it-all-now kinda guy, so that's my suggestion.

Do you know why the heater doesnt work? If the problem is just that you're not getting any heat, but the fans and switches work and there arent any coolant leaks, it may be that the thermostat is stuck open. If this is the case, it's a $5, 30 min. fix you can do in your driveway by replacing the thermostat.

·
Registered
124 Posts
well if your really confortable with taking apart your car you can just replace that one valve. it would cost about $15 for the valve and $30 for the gasket. I did this on my crx it was my first project. it wasn't hard at all, but make sure you torque the head. I forgot to make the second round and everything leaked.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
u would need the set for a few more peices its 100 bucks for the head gasket set and u get the valves seals with that so u might aswell change them while the head is off and takin valves out, valves for my ga16i engine were like 2 bucks a peice so i cant imagine a e16 being so much more

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks a lot guys, all this info really helped me, i think im just gonna drop by the junker and pick up a new head. my buddy is a mechanic so he can just throw it in for me. and also, i think you're right about the heater, cus all the fans work, and there are no leaks. ill get him to check that as well. thanks a lot all of you :thumbup:

ps- why does everyone say ebay? isnt the junkyard just easier, cheaper and more practical? or is everyone just lazy? :thumbdwn:

pss - im stationed in alberta, canada.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
ebay is good for engines that come turbo charged otherwise yes the junkyard will more than likely always have any engine u are lookin for and theres always more than one junk yard around so if its not at one then its at the other

·
Registered
751 Posts
drumcrazy said:
Thanks a lot guys, all this info really helped me, i think im just gonna drop by the junker and pick up a new head. my buddy is a mechanic so he can just throw it in for me. and also, i think you're right about the heater, cus all the fans work, and there are no leaks. ill get him to check that as well. thanks a lot all of you :thumbup:

ps- why does everyone say ebay? isnt the junkyard just easier, cheaper and more practical? or is everyone just lazy? :thumbdwn:

pss - im stationed in alberta, canada.
You're going to want to know what kind of engine you have. Check for the badge under the hood on the firewall passenger side. You probly have an E16s. It might say E16i and you'll see a lot of GA16's in the jy. While you are at the yard, look for some SE Pulsars. Check for the swaybars/brakes and steering wheel. IMO, the best mods for the money. You may want to check your car to see if it even has swaybars.
Make sure your radiator is FULL. My heater was crappin out til I put about 3 cups of water in it. There is a good chance you're loosing water through your head gasket.
Snag the cluster or just the voltage regulator off the back to fix the gages.
For most parts, I like to buy locally or from an online retailer. If it don't fit, just bring'er back.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would rather buy from ebay then a junkyard. If the car is in the junkyard there is a reason. There's a chance that parts from both will be messed up, but I feel that you have a lot better chance to get working parts from ebay. I would have gotten my motor from ebay but all of the places that sell then require them to be sent to a bessnes or you can pick it up from the trucking depote and I don't have a truck so I got one from a company that deliverd it to my garage door. Anyways, ebay rocks!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Sixways said:
I would rather buy from ebay then a junkyard. If the car is in the junkyard there is a reason. There's a chance that parts from both will be messed up, but I feel that you have a lot better chance to get working parts from ebay. I would have gotten my motor from ebay but all of the places that sell then require them to be sent to a bessnes or you can pick it up from the trucking depote and I don't have a truck so I got one from a company that deliverd it to my garage door. Anyways, ebay rocks!
I suppose it depends what you're looking for. I'm not gonna buy used struts. But I did find the best deal on new Tokicos from ebay. Found the best deal on Bilstiens for the Durango from Ajusa. Have found TONS of upgrade parts and pieces in the JY. Plus, if you don't like what you see in the JY, don't buy it. Ebay is buyer beware shopping. A friend of mine bought a used V8 (800$)from a jy and got maybe 20kmi out of it. Then he spent $1500 for a rebuilt V8 and burned it to the ground when it backfired. :balls: But that's a story for the Mopar forums. Around here there are dozens of engine importers and rebuilders. Most likely any JDM parts for sale in Ohio had to come through a western port. So why use buyer beware ebay for a big ticket item like that? I would NEVER spend hundreds of dollars on something I have never actually seen in person and gave it the hands on once over. But that's just my 2cent.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
sometimes sentras are at the junk yard just because grandma dies and the fam thinks the car is junk so they sell it off cheap to a junk yard who sells parts off or whole cars

·
Registered
14 Posts
JY

I agree, I have found tons of things at JYs that are good, such as steering columns, carbs, exhaust manifolds, head lights/ tail lights, interior etc.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm not saying that everything is going to be bad. but most often at junkyards you have no way to check to see if the item your looking at will work so it's not much worse then buying from ebay. atleast then you get a promise from some jackass that it'll work.

A lot of high end parts you don't see before you buy them too. well I guess some people do. But as all true pulsar/sentra owns have, I have conciderd the JDM GTI-R SR20 swap, and regardless of where I got it from I wouldn't be able to see it before I bought it (there are no major importers around here).

Any way to wrap up a now pointless thread, ebay F**king rocks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
yknow im young and naive, but i believe that ebay is a godsend, even though personally ive never bought a thing from it, imagine if our fathers had that kind of resource when they needed a part, it was either get it from somone u knew or buy it new, i figure the only time ill use ebay is for stupid mirrors and lights or crap if iwere into that stuff but im not so just enjoy ebay for the random mechanical parts and think of where youd be without it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts