Nissan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
896 Posts
I'd say that the engine damage would have occured while racing in a car with very low milage. Hitting the rev limiter in neutral is no big deal at all since the car is'nt under load. Even under load you can bounce it off the limter every now and then, but that only applies to a motor that has been corectly broken in. Drag racing in a car with 4,000 miles is the first indication that you are a 16 yr old who is having a little to much fun. In a few years (if not sooner) you'll understand the importance of breaking in a car. How many times have you changed your oil?

· Registered
896 Posts
There was a recall, they simply cut the top of the floor mats so that they are shorter. I would take it in and tell them that it got jammed over the pedal. As for changing your oil more than 3,000 miles... all you need to do is keep an eye on your oil level, just add some oil if your low oil. BTW engine break in is 5,000 miles not 1,000.

EDIT: the reason your low on oil is because your driving the car to hard while its not yet broken in. The higher revs and harder driving are (amung other things) raising the oil pressure on a motor that has not had time to develop seals. Thus the oil is being leaked into the combustion chambers and burning off.

· Registered
896 Posts
cortrim1 said:

The damage could already be done. I would watch the oil level if you are still using oil after 5000miles you have a problem. :cool:
Agreed. Just keep an eye on your oil. you may be okay, but then again maybe not... i'd give it another 2/3,000 miles before i'd say the damage is already done. If your still down oil at 7,500 miles then its a safe bet that for the life of your car you'll have to keep an eye on it.

· Registered
896 Posts
bbpinkfloyd said:
I just topped her off and she took a little more than a quarter of a quart.

What do you guys think about nissan putting 1,000 miles break-in period in their manual?
to be honest i never read the manual regarding break in, I've been around cars to long. I have always heard between 5k-10k for break in. If you back off the throtle a little you should be able to let the engine, "heal" if you will, and the seals my develop just fine. the block and its components are aliminium, so they heat up quicker and cool off quicker, this could benifit you in the sense that the car may not have formed any "permenent" shape.

· Registered
896 Posts
Its important to note that you hit the rev limiter in Neutral... thus under no load, that is not such a big deal. Even hitting the rev limiter while driving is okay once and a while. The more important thing is that the motor is broken in first.

Side note: i think the rev limiter cuts spark not fuel, if it cut fuel youd get detination due to 'gas' in the chamber and no fuel to be ignited by the spark.

to the person who got "new" floor mats in the recall, your were not just cut at the top? the so called new ones i got were cut at the top.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.