Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Sentra Spec-V

On Saturday night while dragging a pre-1993 mustang, I mashed my gas pedal down while in second gear and as I go to shift into third all I hear is my engine bouncing off the rev limiter. I left the car in neutral, released the clutch, slowed the car down, turned the ignition off and pulled over. The engine probably was bouncing off the rev limiter for about 3-4 seconds.

Than the duma$$ move on my part came next. Before checking to see if the gas pedal was stuck I decided to start the car again and of course the revs went up and the engine was bouncing of the rev limiter for another 2 seconds. I shut it off right away and kicked the gas pedal and the pedal came back up.

Well my drivers side floor mat does not stay on that little post so it had slid forward and my gas pedal got stuck wide open, thus I had a stuck thottle.

Anyway my question to all the gear heads is: did I do any damage? I only have 4000 miles on my car so if was not completely broken in it is now! The car seems to run fine and does not make any differant noises. I checked the oil and I am low half a quart and it looks pretty dirty even though the oil is only got about 1500 miles on it.

So do you guys think I should be worried?

·
Registered
871 Posts
I'd say that the engine damage would have occured while racing in a car with very low milage. Hitting the rev limiter in neutral is no big deal at all since the car is'nt under load. Even under load you can bounce it off the limter every now and then, but that only applies to a motor that has been corectly broken in. Drag racing in a car with 4,000 miles is the first indication that you are a 16 yr old who is having a little to much fun. In a few years (if not sooner) you'll understand the importance of breaking in a car. How many times have you changed your oil?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well I really was not drag racing. I was just going fast off a traffic light so I could get in front when the road went down to one lane.

But anyway, I have taken my car to full thottle many times(after 1000miles) but I don't slam it into gear or launch at anything above 2000 rpm.

I changed my oil once at 2500 miles. It was one quart low at the time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you serious about the recall on the floor mats? How do they fix the problem, do they replace that little post or do they switch out to a differant mat?

Why is changing your oil more then every 3,000 miles seem nesscary for this car?

·
Registered
871 Posts
There was a recall, they simply cut the top of the floor mats so that they are shorter. I would take it in and tell them that it got jammed over the pedal. As for changing your oil more than 3,000 miles... all you need to do is keep an eye on your oil level, just add some oil if your low oil. BTW engine break in is 5,000 miles not 1,000.

EDIT: the reason your low on oil is because your driving the car to hard while its not yet broken in. The higher revs and harder driving are (amung other things) raising the oil pressure on a motor that has not had time to develop seals. Thus the oil is being leaked into the combustion chambers and burning off.

·
Registered
369 Posts
BlackoutSpecV said:
There was a recall, they simply cut the top of the floor mats so that they are shorter. I would take it in and tell them that it got jammed over the pedal. As for changing your oil more than 3,000 miles... all you need to do is keep an eye on your oil level, just add some oil if your low oil. BTW engine break in is 5,000 miles not 1,000.
thats correct. do not abuse your car until you get at least 5000miles on it or you could be in trouble. Also change to synthetic fluids(engine and transmittion) your car will thank you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh well thanks for the help.

As for the 1000 miles break in that is what the manual said so I was going by that. Now I am going to try to be easy on my engine for a little while longer. Will being easy on it NOW(after being an excitable young pilot) matter any?

·
Registered
369 Posts
bbpinkfloyd said:
Oh well thanks for the help.

As for the 1000 miles break in that is what the manual said so I was going by that. Now I am going to try to be easy on my engine for a little while longer. Will being easy on it NOW(after being an excitable young pilot) matter any?
The damage could already be done. I would watch the oil level if you are still using oil after 5000miles you have a problem. :cool:

·
Registered
871 Posts
cortrim1 said:

The damage could already be done. I would watch the oil level if you are still using oil after 5000miles you have a problem. :cool:
Agreed. Just keep an eye on your oil. you may be okay, but then again maybe not... i'd give it another 2/3,000 miles before i'd say the damage is already done. If your still down oil at 7,500 miles then its a safe bet that for the life of your car you'll have to keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just topped her off and she took a little more than a quarter of a quart.

What do you guys think about nissan putting 1,000 miles break-in period in their manual?

·
Registered
871 Posts
bbpinkfloyd said:
I just topped her off and she took a little more than a quarter of a quart.

What do you guys think about nissan putting 1,000 miles break-in period in their manual?
to be honest i never read the manual regarding break in, I've been around cars to long. I have always heard between 5k-10k for break in. If you back off the throtle a little you should be able to let the engine, "heal" if you will, and the seals my develop just fine. the block and its components are aliminium, so they heat up quicker and cool off quicker, this could benifit you in the sense that the car may not have formed any "permenent" shape.

V

·
0 Posts
I believe the 1000 miles you read in the manual is only the break-in period for not varying the speed as much. Everyone knows that the first 1000 miles you should vary the engine rpm's as much as possible without dogging it. A friend of mine with an older Sentra who has 270,000 miles says he broke his car in slowly for the first 7,500-10,000 miles. I have about 2000 on mine now and try to take it easy and have NOT bounced it off the rev limiter at all. My biggest concern by far is the paint on the car.

·
I am Popo Bawa
220 Posts
You are right, the paint sux!!!!

About the floor mats. . . My car was one that was not covered by the recall. However, my floormat constantly slid off the little post. Soooo, once I heard about the recall, I got in to my dealership, and demanded a new floor mat. They of course were hesitant, but I would not leave w/out a new one. They finally agreed, and when I pulled my floormat out, I discovered that the top had been cut off.

I would not have accepted that if I had known about it when I took posession of the car.

If your floor mat is sliding off of the post, take it in and demand a new one. The specV was my 2nd car from the same dealership, and I made sure that they knew that they'd never see me or my money again if I wasn't satisfied.

The new floor mat has not moved an inch since I got it!

Sorry for the length.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, there is a recall on the floor mats and if they don't replace it I have a better solution than just cutting the top off.

Anyway, the owner's manual said vary speeds but it also said don't go full throttle during the first thousand. I don't beat on it but I have been taking it to full thottle, mostly in 2nd and 3rd gears. I am really pissed that my car took about 5-seconds on the rev limiter because of this damn floor mat.

Also, I don't know about you guys but I only plan to have this car for 3-4 years and the reason I have it is to have fun with it. If I don't drive the first year there goes 1/3 of my fun. Plus I don't think I would want to drive a 4-cylinder with over 100,000miles on it.

No paint problems hear, I have had the car since April. I have that Automate paint protection but that is really just UV protection or a warrenty( I could not tell you if they actually applied anything ). We got to get it here in AZ.

My friend who is a car salesman beats the crap out of all of his demo cars from mile one and they run fine for 5-6k he has them for. Don't worry it is not yours, he is honda salesman.

·
I am Popo Bawa
220 Posts
Share with us your solution to the floormats!

I had a '95 S-10 w/145k miles on it, and the engine was fine! nothing wrong w/100k + miles on a 4 banger. They run forever, unless abused!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have rigged a cap that fits on top of the little post. It acts like a cottor pin and keeps the mat from sliding off the post. I made it out of a water bottle cap but will be look for a better cap if Nissan does not give a updated mat.

I got the idea from a VW where the mats snap into place.

Also how do you not abuse a six-speed high-revving four-banger that revs so fast in first gear that you have to shift before completing a left hand turn?

·
I am Popo Bawa
220 Posts
I wouldn't consider a car that has a rev limiter at 6200 rpms to be hi revving.

I thought about doing something like that to hold my mat in place, but I figured that I shouldn't have to. If you are satisfied w/that solution, that is great. I just want the correct equipment, and that equipment to work proberly.

I'd still try to get a new mat if I where you though.

·
Registered
369 Posts
bbpinkfloyd said:
I have rigged a cap that fits on top of the little post. It acts like a cottor pin and keeps the mat from sliding off the post. I made it out of a water bottle cap but will be look for a better cap if Nissan does not give a updated mat.

I got the idea from a VW where the mats snap into place.

Also how do you not abuse a six-speed high-revving four-banger that revs so fast in first gear that you have to shift before completing a left hand turn?
shift early, the peak power is at 6000 rpm so get ready to shift at 5800. Its just something you will have to get used to or learn how to shift gears in a corner but watch out for the torque steer.:eek:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My car is contained within the recall but if they are going just saw off part of my mat because it won't stay in place, I will not go for that.

I considor this car and any other four cylinder performance engine high revving if to drive it competitively (against say a V8) you have to be in the car's upper safe RPM range all the type.

There is a big differance between a V8 at 2000 rpm and a any I4 at 2000 rpm. But concievably they could put out the same HP at their respective peaks.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts