Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help how to set the timing, i have a s13 blacktop, i put the timing chain set on the sprocket where the dot is as well as the crank sprocket and when everythin is marked right when i turn the crank it gets stuck, like a valve is opening when its not suppose to. Can someone please help i checked it several times and still can't get it. What am i doing wrong?

·
i'm an asshole
1,859 Posts
it should look like this when everything is in time:

the first cam lobes should be pointing away from each other and the #1 piston is at TDC, which is the 2nd mark from the left on the crank pulley.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but i did have everything, i had the piston TDC and the chain marks with the dot on the cam gears but still it was getting stuck

·
i'm an asshole
1,859 Posts
are you sure its actually stuck? it does get a little harder to turn at times, but thats just when a valve is being pushed down.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah im pretty sure, because it turns and then gets alil hard and then just gets really stuck, do the cams need to be set at 0 too? if you do would there be marks on the head or something?

·
i'm an asshole
1,859 Posts
the only thing the cams need to be at is the first lobes pointing away from each other. there are also tabs at the end of the cams that connect them to the sprockets. the intake tab should be around 10 o'clock and the exhaust around 12 o'clock.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,044 Posts
Try this procedure:

SR20DET Camshaft Installation Procedure

• Set crank to top dead center (TDC)…2nd mark from the left on the pulley. With the #1 cam lobes facing away from each other.
  • Remove tensioner.
  • Look at the front of the exhaust cam. You will see that there is a pin that locks the cam to the gear. You will also see a dot stamped into the cam gear at approximately 1 O’clock. This dot is used to mark tooth #1.
  • Starting from exhaust cam tooth #1 count (clockwise) the number of teeth until the top surface of the head. The head should be between 8 and 9 teeth.
  • Adjust cam position as necessary.
  • Find the DOT on intake cam. Once again this is tooth #1. Count COUNTER-clockwise to the top of the head. You should find that the top of the head should be between 4½ and 5½ teeth. Adjust as necessary.
  • Count the number of chain pins between the 2 dots across the top. You should count 20 pins.
  • Install tensioner. Rotate engine 2 full turns and slowly bring it back to TDC ( #1 lobes out)
  • Re-inspect cam position as listed above. Repeat if necessary.
  • Install CAS according to FSM procedure.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i figure out the timing on the chain, but when i put everything back together it started but sounded bad, with misfiring. Then i messed with the CAS and still sounded the same, i removed the CAS and then put it back on, then it didnt want to start at all...any advice people please...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts