Nissan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The oil change guys broke the dipstick head off then put the oil dipstick in the dipstick tube now it is jammed in. How do I get it out? How long do I have until I have a problem? 2000 Nissan Sentra GXE 4 cyl.

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
yeah, why are you worrying about it when they're the ones that broke it?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if it were that simple I wouldn't have posted anything about it.
you married guys know what I'm talking about. so someone tell me it how to fix it please. I agree it's their fault but I just want it fixed quickly, low stress.

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
go to Nissan. If your dealer is smart, they'll just give you one on warranty because they know those suckers are breaking left and right.

go tell your wife to take it to the place and have them fix it and stop bugging you. LOL.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Dont listen to everyone lol they just like to bitch alot.
This has happened to me and a few otrher folks. This will work.
Just go to a gas station with one of those big ass industrial size vacuum cleaners and put it over the dipstick housing and it will suck it right out. If its having trouble, try to get a better seal around the housing with tape or something to get a better sucking action (Chimmike know about this part ;) lol j/k.
The older guys like Chimmike have seen this problem a few times. they shouldve told you this from the start.
You can also remove the dipstick housing from the block. Its fairly easy and just pops right on and off with a bit of force. I dont not recommend doing this unless its your last resort. Speacially if you still have the stock exhaust manifol. You can see everything better with a header. Goodluck!

Khem

·
Registered
25 Posts
The part cost 6 dollars and it is easy to remove. Remove the pcv valve from put a compreesor on the hole and the dip stick will fire out. Stand clear .

·
Registered
5 Posts
watup bro i had the same problem ,,,i tried to fish it out from the top but that didnt work,.. so i dropped the oil pan and pulled it out the bottom=] u can do it that way if u cant fish it out the top..

·
Registered
6 Posts
have you tried a little magnetic pen stick. thats what i used. just try not to touch the various electronic components nearby.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Taking the dipstick out of a nissan sentra 02

Problem: Dipstick is stuck with plastic cap so that you can not wedge anything in there.

Solution: Use a the super glue and pencil/chopstick trick to pull the dipstick up as far as you can. I got mine to an inch from the top of the dipstick tube.

Next crimp the tube hard enough so that dipstick will not fall back down while you're working on it.

Lastly, get a long screw, preferable 3 inches long and screw it into the broken plastic top. Make sure it's deep enough so that when you pull it out it will have enough grip. When mine was pulled out it basically disintegrate the plastic top and metal dipstick was exposed near the top of the tube.

That's it. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
my handle broke off... i took mine to jiffy lube and they use a small hook and took it out quickly... so if you got a small hook just dig it out, if not take it to get a oil change and have them take it out... they will

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nissan Sentra 1.8L Broken dipstick in tube

The dipstip to my Nissan Sentra was broke and stuck in the tube. I tried other known methods that probably would have worked except for some reason the plastic piece seemed to be very tight in the tube. Methods I tried are, Super glue with pencil/wooden dowel, Shopvac suction, Compressed Air in crankcase.

Here’s the method I used and worked great. Supplies needed:
1) Exacto Knife
2) Epoxy for (at least) metal and plastic
3) Pliers or Vise Grips (I needed only because I had a lot of resistance removing)

Remove the blade from the exacto knife. Loosen the end of the exacto knife.

Now that you loosed the end see if you can slip the end of the exacto knife over of the end of the dipstip that’s in the tube.

Once you’ve slipped the exacto knife over the dipstick end turn clockwise to tighten. This will (should) clamp down on the end of the dipstick. See if you can pull the dipstick from the tube. If not proceed to the next step.

Mix the Epoxy as instructed. Using a toothpick take the mixed epoxy and press some in the end of the exacto knife where the slits are.

Once you applied the epoxy to the exacto knife slip the end of it over the end of the dipstick and tighten. Let sit so the epoxy has time to harden (refer to your epoxy instructions).

After epoxy has hardened pull to remove the dipstick. This is where I used Vise Grips on the end of the exacto knife to give me more leverage to pull.

Hope this works for you. Let me know. Thanks.
Sorry if the pics dont work. Tried using urls from 2 different sites.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Got into same issue :(

I am have same problem. Did oil change at Costco and they put a note dipstick broken prior to service. Not sure who broke it, I myself never took it out and always do oil change with Costco. I even didn't know what dipstick is until read costco technician comments. When I planned to change it after couple days find out it is not stuck. I am pretty sure Costco guys put the broken one in, which they shouldn't have as there was potential issue to have that stuck. Anyways, I tried different suggestion but no luck:(
It stuck quiet, I would say atlleast 8 inch to 10 inches deep. Any suggestionon any easy way to take this out. Also would there be any issue with car starting with stuck dipstick. My car had boost after this issue. It could be my battery, just want to sure it safe to drive.

Thanks for your help

I took picture not sure how to load on forum

·
Registered
4 Posts
I made complaint. They said it was already broken :( Anyways they said they can't remove it as this is a mechanical job. They offer free oil change next time

1 - 18 of 18 Posts