Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I remove a brake drum that is stuck? With the rear jacked up, the rear the pass. side wheel turns but the driver side wheel doesn't. The stuck wheel turns when I drive the truck, but I can feel unusual resistance. How do I get it off? Please help.

·
Registered
153 Posts
You can try and backing the adjuster down, so that the shoes contract. Hit the brakes a few time doing this, to try to center the shoes. Also, make sure your emergency brake is not hanging up, on that side. If the cable feels tight, try to disconnect it, or wiggle it around in a circular motion, until it feels loose. You can spray WD on the cable too, that helps loosen them, if they are stuck.
Good Luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can try and backing the adjuster down, so that the shoes contract. Hit the brakes a few time doing this, to try to center the shoes. Also, make sure your emergency brake is not hanging up, on that side. If the cable feels tight, try to disconnect it, or wiggle it around in a circular motion, until it feels loose. You can spray WD on the cable too, that helps loosen them, if they are stuck.
Good Luck
Were is the adjuster? What does it look like and how do I back it down?
I ckecked the tension in the parking brake cable, it seams ok.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The adjuster is accessible on the backside of the brake plate. There should be an oval plastic or rubber plug. Take that out, and you will see the star adjuster. I'm guessing that you don't have an adjuster bar, so maybe a screwdriver will grab the teeth. Turn it the direction that feels like it is loosening.
The parking brake cable should have a little spring movement to it, if it is not froze.
On my 86, the drums have 2 8mm holes by the studs. If you have these, thread 2 8mm high grade bolts into them, a little at a time on each. When they feel tight, tap around the drum all around with a hammer, then tighten and tap again.This might pull them off, that is if 95's have the threaded holes. I'm sure someone with a 95 can say for sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The adjuster is accessible on the backside of the brake plate. There should be an oval plastic or rubber plug. Take that out, and you will see the star adjuster. I'm guessing that you don't have an adjuster bar, so maybe a screwdriver will grab the teeth. Turn it the direction that feels like it is loosening.
The parking brake cable should have a little spring movement to it, if it is not froze.
On my 86, the drums have 2 8mm holes by the studs. If you have these, thread 2 8mm high grade bolts into them, a little at a time on each. When they feel tight, tap around the drum all around with a hammer, then tighten and tap again.This might pull them off, that is if 95's have the threaded holes. I'm sure someone with a 95 can say for sure.
Hey Brookwood61, that did the trick. Took a bit to figure it out, but when I did, I loosened the adjuster and the frozen drum started moving. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

When I reassemble how far do I tighten the adjuster?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Glad it worked out for you. There is a difference of opinion on this, but what i do is put the tire on, and adjust the star until drag can be felt when turning the tire. The hit the brakes a few times to center the pads again. Then do it again. I like my back brakes tight, so when I can feel a little drag on them,I'm done.Drive the vehicle a short distance, and make sure they are not to tight to get hot. If they get hot, back them off a little. but usually with a slight drag, there OK after driving a short distance. It centers everything up.
Good Luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts