Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I posted on Reddit about this, but I also wanted to ask around cause ya know, what the hell, right?
So anyway, my car needed new shocks and struts since the ride quality was just...ass, is all I can describe it, and if anyone happens to point out anything else, I forget what parts they were, but I took it to a mechanic once, dude fixed a lot of stuff, but the price to fix the rest was so damn high and the dude basically said fixing this car wasn;t worth it and I should just get another one. I did, but that's neither here nor there.

What I'm curious about is coilover kits and springs. I have shocks and struts I got from Advance Auto, but my current mechanic says I need to get a spring compressor to remove said springs. Now he said that he was confused by the lack of springs on the shock and strut kit, so I asked him would it cause any issue to just put the new shocks and struts on and just leave the rest, and he said it might wear out my struts and shocks faster, but they should still last for a good while nontheless.

The thing is, even IF it isn't an issue - I still want to replace the springs since this car means a lot to me - it's my first car I bought with my cash, so I wan't it to be a good as possible. I looked online for coilover kits as I was suggested too, and all I found was cheap possibly Chinese crap on amazon, and quite frankly, I'd like to avoid that, if possible.

Now, I was curious, can I get the springs seperate and put them on the shocks and struts I have, or does it have to be a full kit altogether? I found this link for the front springs, but as for the rear, I still haven't been able to find any. Anyone know where to look for the rear springs, or am I SOL?

Finally, I do apologize if I sound like an idiot, I'm not a car guy, but I would like to learn more if nothing else just to know more about my car,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ugh. Can't seem to post the link, but if you google 98 nissan 200sx springs it's the link on nissanpartsdeal.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
9,767 Posts
Usually, the front and rear coil springs are not replaced unless they are cracked, broken, or causing the vehicle to sag. If you are just looking stock suspension components, KYB is an OE supplier of struts and shocks to Nissan, so the KYB GR-2/Excel-G front struts and rear shocks are as close to the original factory components that you are going to find. And, they are available at Rockauto.com and have a rebate currently available on them. If you definitely have to replace the coil springs, the fronts are available from Nissan, as you found out. NissanPartsDeal.com and CourtesyParts.com are two good places to purchase genuine Nissan parts at a discount. Rear coils springs have been discontinued. Stock replacement are going to either be sourced as "used" from an auto salvage yard or you can have a spring shop make you a new set of springs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts