Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everybody,

I was wondering why my cars performance is lacking considerably.
I own a 97' 200sx SE-R, its only performance mods are a cat-back exhaust and a much stiffer suspension.

Last time i went to the track i ran 3 runs of about 17.3 @81 mph in the 1/4 mile. The only thing i can think of is the fact that the car has 98k miles on it, and it was about 100 degrees on the track surface.

If anybody know what the problem is, let me know.

(Is it because it has such high milage?)

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
Your SE-R is NOT high-mileage, it's barely broken in.

To repeat selrider99, do you have an auto or 5-speed trans? That's worth a good 1/2-sec difference.

Otherwise, check the timing. Also, check the ECU to see if it's throwing a code. Any vacuum leaks? Did you turn off the A/C compressor? It will shut off under full throttle but only for a set amount of time and then will kick-on again. I don't know that duration without grabbing my FSM, which is at home. Are both radiator fans coming on, i.e. your car's not running hot at the track?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Captain_Ser said:
I was wondering why my cars performance is lacking considerably.
I own a 97' 200sx SE-R, its only performance mods are a cat-back exhaust and a much stiffer suspension.

Last time i went to the track i ran 3 runs of about 17.3 @81 mph in the 1/4 mile. The only thing i can think of is the fact that the car has 98k miles on it, and it was about 100 degrees on the track surface.

If anybody know what the problem is, let me know.

(Is it because it has such high milage?)
Well, no offense, but it may be the driver. I know that I personally suck at drag racing and the car is capable of far better numbers than I've ever put up for it. The temperature also plays a huge part. The engine was probably heat-soaked and that dampens the performance greatly as well. As Bruce mentioned, 98K miles is not a high-mileage car and just about broken in. In fact I noticed (and I believe others had mentioned it prior to me) a pretty significant difference in the car's performance since I hit 100K miles. The car feels stronger! Then again, it may be in my head.

Also, what are the other numbers on that timeslip? If you've got like a 5 second 60' that might be your problem ;)

Regardless, keep trying! I had some runs in similar heat stock and the fastest I was able to get that day was 16.3 or so. Prior to that, I was only able to get a 17 or so 1/4 mile and shortly after that (still stock) I got a 15.8 or so. Now, with all the bolt-ons, the best I've gotten is a 15.1 (like I said, I suck!)

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
selrider99 said:
me myself ...will never go to the track.....i am afraid of what i am going to run...
It's not all that bad. My first time out:

http://www.kieranlavin.com/stories/dragstrip.html

It was quite embarassing! I see you live in Long Island... if you want to come out some Wednesday evening (and pick me up at work in the city on your way out ;) I'll take you to the strip and show you what little I know

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 5 speed:D

my reaction time was .7 sec......which is decent (.5 sec is perfect)
I shifted at the redline, and never missed a shift
I launched at 4,000 RPM

I have not had a tune up since i bought the car......about 1 year ago.
What all should i do? Buy plugs and plug wires?.....im getting a Place Racing CAI.....

Thanks for your responses.....its making me feel better about buying this car:)

P.S. I'm 17 so my knowledge on engines isnt much......how do you advance timing? Does it involve the ECU?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Captain, to increase y our timing....... it's simple..... find your distributor cap and turn it clockwise one notch :). Boom you done.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Captain_Ser said:
I have a 5 speed:D

my reaction time was .7 sec......which is decent (.5 sec is perfect)
I shifted at the redline, and never missed a shift
I launched at 4,000 RPM

I have not had a tune up since i bought the car......about 1 year ago.
What all should i do? Buy plugs and plug wires?.....im getting a Place Racing CAI.....

Thanks for your responses.....its making me feel better about buying this car:)

P.S. I'm 17 so my knowledge on engines isnt much......how do you advance timing? Does it involve the ECU?
.7 isn't bad... but, like you said .5 is perfect... try getting closer to .5 Harder than it sounds! Some people I know can pull off consistant .55 or .60! What about your 60' though? See, if you launched at 4K RPMs and just dumped the clutch on street tires, you PROBABLY just wound up spinning your tires. Which would give you a horrible time. The first time I went to the dragstrip with all the bolt-ons, I spun the tires all the way through 1st gear and got a 16.2 1/4 mile... pretty crappy!

For a tune-up, yes, get plugs and wires. Might as well also get distributor cap... some other things you might want to try include fuel filter, change the oil/filter while you're at it too, has your O2 sensor been changed ever? They usually go around 90K miles. Maybe also try cleaning out your EGR system. Check the voltage on your MAF; it may need to be regrounded. I doubt it though - most B14s don't seem to need it so much as the B13s.

For advancing the timing and many of the other things I mentioned above, poke around SE-R.net I think all of it is in there... if you still have trouble, let me know and I'll help you out some more. I've done everything mentioned above... if I can do it, anyone can do it.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LaRon said:
Captain, to increase y our timing....... it's simple..... find your distributor cap and turn it clockwise one notch :). Boom you done.
Whoa, whoa, whoa... it's not quite that easy! You'll need a timing light to do it properly. There aren't too many people that could eyeball timing. I'm getting fairly good at eyeballing it but use a timing light. They're fairly inexpensive and will assure you the proper timing. You wouldn't want to be running 21 degree timing when you happen to put 87 octane in your car ;(

·
Registered
66 Posts
LaRon said:
is this true?
bryan
nevermind, i didnt see the post right above this.

·
I command you to SEARCH
2,748 Posts
HOLY POST RESURECTION BATMAN! :fluffy:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts