Nissan Forum banner

Stromung Group Deal

14K views 142 replies 20 participants last post by  Teknokid 
#1 · (Edited)
#34 ·
which muffler?
here's what you can get from Stromung:
>>full system: everything you need: $441 for b14 ~8-10hp
>>mid-pipe only: will need your own muffler: $170 ~5hp plus the hp gained by the muffler replacement.
>>Muffler only: not entirely sure, but expensive to buy alone (very little gain without piping)

#35 ·
I should mention that the reason the stromung is such a good system is because of the midpipe. It's mandrel bent, the right size piping for our engines, and fits correctly. Getting just the muffler defeats the whole purpose of the stromung. The reason this exhaust was made in the first place was because a lot of us needed the midpipe ready made, since regular shops don't do mandrel bends. If you're interested in this exhaust, there's no good reason why not to get complete system in the first place.

#38 ·
yes, you can use the mid-pipe with any other aftermarket muffler for the most part. I recommend you don't use the stock muffler if that's what you had in mind. Also, if you get yourself a straight thru muffler, I suggest you get a stromung resonator b/c no aftermarket muffler is as good sounding as Stromung's.

for the cat here's the deal...I think I had an issue with it but I'm not 100% on whether the tank I removed was the cat or not (I'm almost sure it was the cat). Anyway, I haven't had the opportunity to look under the front end of my car to re-check. Nevertheless, I believe whatever issue I faced only applies to my particular model. So therefore I believe for the most part that the following cars are safe from finding any issue with the cat:
B13s, b15s, 200sx's, any SR20 powered vehicle, and probably the 98s and 99s.

Selrider99, I'm sure you wont have any problem and kristinspapi, you probably won't have to worry either.

#41 ·
I would be down for a 1.6L mid-pipe if
1. Its 2"
2. I have a 99, one with 2 cats(manifold, and under shifter). If the mid-pipe goes from the second cat(under shifter) back I would be interested.
3. Fit B14 4 door

I have seen a lot of uncertainty about the mid-pipe on this and the b15sentra.net board. If it could get cleared up and its what I am looking for, I would almost certainly get one.

#42 ·
2 cats?

If we have two cats on the 99, what purpose do bith serve, and yeah, if we need bothe, will the short ened midpipe be of true value to us with the upgrade exhaust and I mean for near $500 with shipping, will we have near same benefits as those who obtain the full mid pipe? Pablo

#43 ·
Why 2 - Just so that has even less emissions. Are they both needed to keep the Check Engine Light from comming on? No. Only the manifold cat is monitored by the ECU. The emissions system doesnt care about what the second cat is doing.
So you see here is my plan:
HS header, random cat(maybe), Stromung mid-pipe resonated, and my recently purchased A'pexi N1(NA version).
Right now all i have it the manifold cat, I removed the secondary cat when I built my full 2" system. I have no Check Engine Light problems. My concern about the mid-pipe stems from the fact that I have heard confilicting info about wether or not there is room for a cat between the HS header and the Stromung mid-pipe.If it is truly a Cat-back system then there should be no problem. Mike Young's car is running a HS header-cat-Stromung system and I belive that was a dual cat car.

So to be clear about what is need for cats to keep the CEL from comming on:
You only need one. It must have one O2 sensor in front of it and one O2 sensor behind it.

If you want to talk in terms of the law... moving,removing,replacing working cats is ilegal, but most people(Ahem, cops and inspectors) dont have the knowlage of every car to know that its ilegal. You will most likely be fine.
Any questions?

#45 ·
Well ya see I am gonna have to put a cat back in place where the second one was due to the header. This is why I am concerned about it. Like I said need to have at least one cat and the only place for it will be where the old secondary one was. I think we(99'ers) will be alright when it comes to power. Will the gains be the same? I honestly dont know, but I can tell you that there will be a gain and that it should be a pretty good one. Plus its pretty much our only option for a pre-made part. I could make the mid-pipe on my own, but after weighing the time/parts it would take me, I think the Stromung part is worth the money.

#46 · (Edited)
So here we are...

Thanks for that cat clarification and now here we sit, two 99ers, waiting patiently... ever hopeful to find out if this midpipe will fit our cars from the second cat...oh when will that answer fall upon us... "I have a dream, a dream that one day, b13s, b14s, DETs, and all..will join to gether and sing that great forum spiritual, Stromung at LAST, Stromung at Last, we all finally have, an exhaust, to help us go Fast..." ;) Pablo (edited after my error was so quickly pointed out ;) )

#47 ·
Re: So here we are...

kristinspapi said:
Thanks for that cat clarification and now here we sit, two 99ers, waiting patiently... ever hopeful to find out if this midpipe will fit our cars from the second cat...oh when will that answer fall upon us... "I have a dream, a dream that one day, b13s, b14s, DETs, and all..will join to gether and sing that great forum spiritual, Stromburg at LAST, Stromburg at Last, we all finally have, an exhaust, to help us go Fast..." ;) Pablo
Stromburg, what the hell is that??? LOL
Yeah I would really like an answer to this. I need something nice and high quality to go in-front of my A'pexi N1

I think we 99'ers are not the only ones with this problem, i think that dual cat thing started in 97 or 98 on the california package cars. What really fries my noodle is the fact that I bought my 99 new in New Hampshire, thats on the other side of the damn country from Cali, why in the heck did do us New Englanders get stuck with Cali emissions cars.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.