Nissan Forum banner
41 - 60 of 143 Posts

· ex-Super *********
1,704 Posts
I would be down for a 1.6L mid-pipe if
1. Its 2"
2. I have a 99, one with 2 cats(manifold, and under shifter). If the mid-pipe goes from the second cat(under shifter) back I would be interested.
3. Fit B14 4 door

I have seen a lot of uncertainty about the mid-pipe on this and the b15sentra.net board. If it could get cleared up and its what I am looking for, I would almost certainly get one.

· Registered
155 Posts
2 cats?

If we have two cats on the 99, what purpose do bith serve, and yeah, if we need bothe, will the short ened midpipe be of true value to us with the upgrade exhaust and I mean for near $500 with shipping, will we have near same benefits as those who obtain the full mid pipe? Pablo

· ex-Super *********
1,704 Posts
Why 2 - Just so that has even less emissions. Are they both needed to keep the Check Engine Light from comming on? No. Only the manifold cat is monitored by the ECU. The emissions system doesnt care about what the second cat is doing.
So you see here is my plan:
HS header, random cat(maybe), Stromung mid-pipe resonated, and my recently purchased A'pexi N1(NA version).
Right now all i have it the manifold cat, I removed the secondary cat when I built my full 2" system. I have no Check Engine Light problems. My concern about the mid-pipe stems from the fact that I have heard confilicting info about wether or not there is room for a cat between the HS header and the Stromung mid-pipe.If it is truly a Cat-back system then there should be no problem. Mike Young's car is running a HS header-cat-Stromung system and I belive that was a dual cat car.

So to be clear about what is need for cats to keep the CEL from comming on:
You only need one. It must have one O2 sensor in front of it and one O2 sensor behind it.

If you want to talk in terms of the law... moving,removing,replacing working cats is ilegal, but most people(Ahem, cops and inspectors) dont have the knowlage of every car to know that its ilegal. You will most likely be fine.
Any questions?

· Registered
155 Posts
oh yeah.. many questions...

So I thought you were curious as to if you can keep the second cat but you've already taken it off and, still with the shorter length of the midpipe, do we (the 99ers) make the same gains as the others...hmm...Pablo

· ex-Super *********
1,704 Posts
Well ya see I am gonna have to put a cat back in place where the second one was due to the header. This is why I am concerned about it. Like I said need to have at least one cat and the only place for it will be where the old secondary one was. I think we(99'ers) will be alright when it comes to power. Will the gains be the same? I honestly dont know, but I can tell you that there will be a gain and that it should be a pretty good one. Plus its pretty much our only option for a pre-made part. I could make the mid-pipe on my own, but after weighing the time/parts it would take me, I think the Stromung part is worth the money.

· Registered
155 Posts
So here we are...

Thanks for that cat clarification and now here we sit, two 99ers, waiting patiently... ever hopeful to find out if this midpipe will fit our cars from the second cat...oh when will that answer fall upon us... "I have a dream, a dream that one day, b13s, b14s, DETs, and all..will join to gether and sing that great forum spiritual, Stromung at LAST, Stromung at Last, we all finally have, an exhaust, to help us go Fast..." ;) Pablo (edited after my error was so quickly pointed out ;) )

· ex-Super *********
1,704 Posts
Re: So here we are...

kristinspapi said:
Thanks for that cat clarification and now here we sit, two 99ers, waiting patiently... ever hopeful to find out if this midpipe will fit our cars from the second cat...oh when will that answer fall upon us... "I have a dream, a dream that one day, b13s, b14s, DETs, and all..will join to gether and sing that great forum spiritual, Stromburg at LAST, Stromburg at Last, we all finally have, an exhaust, to help us go Fast..." ;) Pablo
Stromburg, what the hell is that??? LOL
Yeah I would really like an answer to this. I need something nice and high quality to go in-front of my A'pexi N1

I think we 99'ers are not the only ones with this problem, i think that dual cat thing started in 97 or 98 on the california package cars. What really fries my noodle is the fact that I bought my 99 new in New Hampshire, thats on the other side of the damn country from Cali, why in the heck did do us New Englanders get stuck with Cali emissions cars.....

· ex-Super *********
1,704 Posts
For those of us with california emissions GA power 99s we have 2 cats. I dont want to sound like a butt-head, but I am a ASE master tech. I do know the difference between a cat and a res. Plus I have also seen fed cars and I know what the res looks like. It is in the same place as my cat(was).

Still now anwer to the question however...
Will the mid-pipe bolt up to the second cat or does it not leave room for it???

· ex-Super *********
1,704 Posts
selrider99 said:
no i know you knew the diffrence... i was just wondering why mine didn't have 2 cat's as well....
I would have to guess it because you are SR powered. *green with envy*

Regardless, like I just told kristinspapi(in an e-mail) if it does not leave room for the second cat between itself and a HS header. The room I need for the cat is only a Sawzall cut away :D I have no fear of cutting and hacking(after todays project you will see what I mean, pics tonight. hint hint). I just hate to cut up a nice product like the Strumung mid-pipe.

· Please Shift Here
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Wow, alot has gone on since the last time I read this thread (partly b/c my computer just crashed and I can only check my email like once a day). Anyway, being that I only had a chance to breeze by the recent replies, here's what I can say.

PatScott, please send me an email to [email protected] if you're intrested. The 1.6 pipe is 2" and yes, as I recently found out, it will usually replace the 2nd cat (at least in my case). If anyone is in an emmissions state, you will still pass emissions with only 1 cat. If you happen to have an aftermarket header too (which removes the other cat), you need to buy a new cat to install (either random tech or nissan OEM). For the most part, the new cat should bolt on to the exhaust no prob, if there's any problems with it fitting in, a muffler shop can weld it to the pipe for about $30.

any other concerns I migh have skipped over?

· Please Shift Here
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Re: 1997 GA16DE

barnoun said:
So is stromung still offering the midpipe that has a shorter section in front so the 2nd cat can remain. I'm damn sure this was an option originally. Did it get cancelled or you just don't know?
negative. Any b14 (only 4 door) sentra with a 1.6 has the mid-pipe and 2nd cat as ONE-PIECE. when the stock mid pipe goes, so does the 2nd cat. I'm gonna post up some images so you can see it in detail.

· Driver
927 Posts
Thanks for the clarification, and the great diagrams too. So, from looking at those diagrams, can it be assumed that someone that has a sentra with 2 cats stock, and wants to get an aftermarket header, still have a cat, and get the stromung midpipe(s) can simply buy the 200sx midpipe(since it has a shorter first section to accomodate for the cat), buy their own cat, and be ready to go?

41 - 60 of 143 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.