Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· ex-Super *********
1,704 Posts
I would be interested if I could get a non-polished, non-resonated, 3" cat-back for a four door B14. Is this possible? Possibly with out a muffler as well.. Damn I guess I just want a 3" non-res, non-muff, mandrel bent pipe So that I can choose my own muffler and paint it high-temp black

· ex-Super *********
1,704 Posts
I would be down for a 1.6L mid-pipe if
1. Its 2"
2. I have a 99, one with 2 cats(manifold, and under shifter). If the mid-pipe goes from the second cat(under shifter) back I would be interested.
3. Fit B14 4 door

I have seen a lot of uncertainty about the mid-pipe on this and the b15sentra.net board. If it could get cleared up and its what I am looking for, I would almost certainly get one.

· ex-Super *********
1,704 Posts
Why 2 - Just so that has even less emissions. Are they both needed to keep the Check Engine Light from comming on? No. Only the manifold cat is monitored by the ECU. The emissions system doesnt care about what the second cat is doing.
So you see here is my plan:
HS header, random cat(maybe), Stromung mid-pipe resonated, and my recently purchased A'pexi N1(NA version).
Right now all i have it the manifold cat, I removed the secondary cat when I built my full 2" system. I have no Check Engine Light problems. My concern about the mid-pipe stems from the fact that I have heard confilicting info about wether or not there is room for a cat between the HS header and the Stromung mid-pipe.If it is truly a Cat-back system then there should be no problem. Mike Young's car is running a HS header-cat-Stromung system and I belive that was a dual cat car.

So to be clear about what is need for cats to keep the CEL from comming on:
You only need one. It must have one O2 sensor in front of it and one O2 sensor behind it.

If you want to talk in terms of the law... moving,removing,replacing working cats is ilegal, but most people(Ahem, cops and inspectors) dont have the knowlage of every car to know that its ilegal. You will most likely be fine.
Any questions?

· ex-Super *********
1,704 Posts
Well ya see I am gonna have to put a cat back in place where the second one was due to the header. This is why I am concerned about it. Like I said need to have at least one cat and the only place for it will be where the old secondary one was. I think we(99'ers) will be alright when it comes to power. Will the gains be the same? I honestly dont know, but I can tell you that there will be a gain and that it should be a pretty good one. Plus its pretty much our only option for a pre-made part. I could make the mid-pipe on my own, but after weighing the time/parts it would take me, I think the Stromung part is worth the money.

· ex-Super *********
1,704 Posts
Re: So here we are...

kristinspapi said:
Thanks for that cat clarification and now here we sit, two 99ers, waiting patiently... ever hopeful to find out if this midpipe will fit our cars from the second cat...oh when will that answer fall upon us... "I have a dream, a dream that one day, b13s, b14s, DETs, and all..will join to gether and sing that great forum spiritual, Stromburg at LAST, Stromburg at Last, we all finally have, an exhaust, to help us go Fast..." ;) Pablo
Stromburg, what the hell is that??? LOL
Yeah I would really like an answer to this. I need something nice and high quality to go in-front of my A'pexi N1

I think we 99'ers are not the only ones with this problem, i think that dual cat thing started in 97 or 98 on the california package cars. What really fries my noodle is the fact that I bought my 99 new in New Hampshire, thats on the other side of the damn country from Cali, why in the heck did do us New Englanders get stuck with Cali emissions cars.....

· ex-Super *********
1,704 Posts
For those of us with california emissions GA power 99s we have 2 cats. I dont want to sound like a butt-head, but I am a ASE master tech. I do know the difference between a cat and a res. Plus I have also seen fed cars and I know what the res looks like. It is in the same place as my cat(was).

Still now anwer to the question however...
Will the mid-pipe bolt up to the second cat or does it not leave room for it???

· ex-Super *********
1,704 Posts
selrider99 said:
no i know you knew the diffrence... i was just wondering why mine didn't have 2 cat's as well....
I would have to guess it because you are SR powered. *green with envy*

Regardless, like I just told kristinspapi(in an e-mail) if it does not leave room for the second cat between itself and a HS header. The room I need for the cat is only a Sawzall cut away :D I have no fear of cutting and hacking(after todays project you will see what I mean, pics tonight. hint hint). I just hate to cut up a nice product like the Strumung mid-pipe.

· ex-Super *********
1,704 Posts
Re: Re: 1997 GA16DE

1997 GA16DE said:

negative. Any b14 (only 4 door) sentra with a 1.6 has the mid-pipe and 2nd cat as ONE-PIECE. when the stock mid pipe goes, so does the 2nd cat. I'm gonna post up some images so you can see it in detail.
I think this is incorrect, If I remember my stock exhaust right it went like this..
Mani/cat bolted to down pipe- bolted to second cat- bolted to mid-pipe - bolted to muffler

So what I am saying here is that the second cat is not one piece with the mid-pipe, at least on a 99 GA 4 door. I will try to get ahold of my local Nissan dealer tommorow to clarify this whole 99 thing. That way we will all know for sure.

· ex-Super *********
1,704 Posts
Here is a tidbit of info about the "cat thing"

Check out what is infront of Mike Youngs Stromung mid-pipe, its the cat we are talking about.
For reference Mikes car is a 98' (sorry for stealing from NPM)

· ex-Super *********
1,704 Posts
1997 GA16DE said:
he has a 200sx, right?
Yes it is a 200SX.
He also had the manifold/cat as well as that secondary cat. I had spoke with him about the Stromung midpipe a while back and if I remember correctly that it left room for the cat.

I didnt get a chance to call the dealer today, but I did get to look at the replacment exhaust catalog we have where I work. For B14 GA16DE four door Sentras it listed two different mid-pipes. One for 95-96 and one for 97-99(I think, I will double check tommorow), as well as the secondary cat.

So for GA powered 99 california emissions 4 door Sentras I am 100% positive about the second cat(heck I own one and remember cutting the second cat off). I would also bet that all 97 and up california emissions cars are the same way. The key here is the california emissions package. I think those are the only ones with 2 cats.

BTW, that book at work also listed the same part# for 200SX and Sentra mid-pipes...Interesting

· ex-Super *********
1,704 Posts
Teknokid said:
I have a federal model and i think i only have one cat, maybe not even one. I havent really looked after my manifold but i know where the cali sentras have the 2nd cat, i have a resonator. What do i do? I know it will pass cali emissions because it was smogged in April but if i get a catback exhaust will i have to get a cat?? I know i would need it if i get headers.
96(95?) and newer fedral cars have only one, It is an integral part of the exhaust manifold.

· ex-Super *********
1,704 Posts
Screw it!!

I'm in for a mid-pipe, as long as its too long and not too short me and my buddy Sawzall can fix it :D
I will still try to help out the others with questions though.

· ex-Super *********
1,704 Posts
Confusion solved???

Ok, I just off the phone with Mossy. After running some part numbers and discussing stock Sentra and 200SX exhaust systems this is what we came up with in regards to the Stromung mid-pipe.
Remember I'm talking B14 GA16DE cars.

The Sentra and 200SX have the same mid-pipe.

From the looks of things the Stromung mid-pipe is meant for Cailifornia emissions cars. Which means it will bolt to the back of the second cat.

The guys/girls with Fedral emissions cars are going to have to find an extension due to the lack of the second cat.

So for all of us with dual cat cars..the mid-pipe is a bolt on.

· ex-Super *********
1,704 Posts
kristinspapi - I am positive that all 99 Cali cars have 2 cats. From what we(Mossy and I) found out, the pipe should be a direct bolt on for a cali car with 2 cats.

barnoun - I belive 1997 GA16DE's diagrams may have some flaws. Also it does not matter(Sentra/200SX) they are the same pipe.

· ex-Super *********
1,704 Posts
Re: 2 pieces

kristinspapi said:
Again, momma told me the only stupid question is the one not asked...From the pictures am I to assume the mid-pipe is actuall both the pieces after the cat, over the axle, and to the muffler flange? And where does the resonator go...
Not at all a stupid question.
Yes the Stromung mid-pipe is 2 pieces, the ones you mentioned. The resonator would be(I imagine) in the first piece close after the cat.

· ex-Super *********
1,704 Posts
IMPORTANT, O2 sensor fitting in mid-pipe!!!

I just got off the phone with Mossy. For those of you that need/want an O2 sensor fitting in the mid-pipe Let me know by 6:00pm est Wed Oct. 2nd. I need to call Mossy back to tell them who wants it. If you plan on running a header and relocating your cat to the end of the header and before the mid-pipe you WILL need one for your rear O2 Sensor(OBD II cars) since it needs to be down-stream(behind) your cat. AOl im me at PatScottAKA99XE if you see me on tonight or tommorow and/or e-mail me at [email protected] Give me your name,part, and application. I am sorry about the short notice, but I just relised this and got ahold of Mossy. Dont worry to much if you cant get ahold of me in time, any good shop can put one in for you. I was told that cost will be around $20.00 for this option.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.