Nissan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
new motor & tranny
1,756 Posts
are you gonna install it yourself?
Do you have a lift available?
If you have a lift..or an access to a lift then it should be quick, few screws here and there. Im guessing ..under an hour.

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
I installed my header in about an hour. But I have a lot of experiance in workign on mport and domestic motors.
They exhaust was a different story. It took me around 3 hours. That was in the dirt, and only 2 jack stands.
If you have worked on cars some, and are familiar with tools, the header shouldnt take you that long. Its always better to have an extra pair of hands when doing the exhaust thoe.

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
I had 4 jack stands and a creeper, with an extra pair of hands and the exhast went on in about 20 minutes, it took longer to break the old bolts loose to get it off then putting the one one on and we ended up just sawing it off. With the header it depends on what kind of tools you have. It took me by myself about an hour to get off the Manifold, working with just a regular wrench, sweeping like 15* and trying to hold back the shield in the process. The HS header isn't compltly on yet, but the 1st piece is bolted onto the block which didn't take about 20 minutes because the engine was OUT of the car (blew the motor, doing a swap along with this) and had an air gun.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Brandon

The L pipe is RATTLING on the gas tank.. the L pipe was not properly made.. i'm wondering if you'r ehaving this problem too? That rattling is really annoying

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was looking into buying some headers for my car... I don't know that much about how to install them(haha ok so i don't know ANYTHING about it), but is it something that can easily be done/learned? And also will it hook up with stock exhaust? Or should I do it the other way around(muffler, cat, then headers)? How does it connect to the block? And would I need a lift. I've been working a lot lately, haven't really taken the time to get up under the car and poke around w/ it. Just thought I'd ask cuz you guys are crazy full of all sorts of helpfull info. What kind of performance increase would I see out of headers w/ just intake, stock everything else on a ga16 motor?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ditto0011 said:
I was looking into buying some headers for my car... I don't know that much about how to install them(haha ok so i don't know ANYTHING about it), but is it something that can easily be done/learned? And also will it hook up with stock exhaust? Or should I do it the other way around(muffler, cat, then headers)? How does it connect to the block? And would I need a lift. I've been working a lot lately, haven't really taken the time to get up under the car and poke around w/ it. Just thought I'd ask cuz you guys are crazy full of all sorts of helpfull info. What kind of performance increase would I see out of headers w/ just intake, stock everything else on a ga16 motor?
You'll need 4 jackstands, a jacklifter thingie.. a breaker bar.. a rachet set and a rachet.. WD-40/PB Blaster/Liquid Wrench.

It can be done.. you can do it by yourself - but to speed up the process.. buy the things i've mentioned to you beforehand.. make sure you have what you need.. or you will be stuck going back and forth from garage to store.

The HotShot header will bolt on to your stock exhaust.

I don't know what increases you'd get from just getting headers and an intake alone.. you really don't get the full potential out of the mods if you don't change the exhaust as well.. if i'm wrong, correct me please.

But it may seem a little scary or whatever if you don't do shit like that.. but i did it.. by myself.. took me longer than most.. i don't even wanna say how long it took! Embarrassing

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yeh... I think I am going to do the exhaust first. So just so I know it goes from the block, to the headers, headers go all the way down to the cat, which then goes to muffler right? I am looking at buying it from the cat all the way back first, then the headers. How much would it be for decent exhaust all the way to the cat? Any good brand suggestions either? Thanks.... And yeh it does seem a little scary, being that this is my ONLY means of transportation, but thats how i learn everything, take it apart, put it back together, I'm pretty good about stuff like that so I know as long as I'm paying attention, I should be allright...... lol at least i hope so...
:hal:

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
ditto0011 said:
Yeh... I think I am going to do the exhaust first. So just so I know it goes from the block, to the headers, headers go all the way down to the cat, which then goes to muffler right? I am looking at buying it from the cat all the way back first, then the headers. How much would it be for decent exhaust all the way to the cat? Any good brand suggestions either? Thanks.... And yeh it does seem a little scary, being that this is my ONLY means of transportation, but thats how i learn everything, take it apart, put it back together, I'm pretty good about stuff like that so I know as long as I'm paying attention, I should be allright...... lol at least i hope so...
:hal:
Well the 1st thing you need to lean is that your car doent need headers, it needs a header, singular, meaning only one.
If you use the search feature here on the forum you will find many threads with instruction on how to install a header.
Dependingon what state you live in, you might not pass you inspection with a header. So to start out, get a cat back exhaust system. 2" no bigger or you will loose power.
Then get a cold air intake.
ALl of these items have been discussed many time here, so using the search feature is your bestest friend now...lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
did the header in 2 hours with 2 jackstands and a metric rachet set. easy.only difficult part for me was the secondary to the primary portion big hands small space.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nostrodomas said:
Well the 1st thing you need to lean is that your car doent need headers, it needs a header, singular, meaning only one.
If you use the search feature here on the forum you will find many threads with instruction on how to install a header.
Dependingon what state you live in, you might not pass you inspection with a header. So to start out, get a cat back exhaust system. 2" no bigger or you will loose power.
Then get a cold air intake.
ALl of these items have been discussed many time here, so using the search feature is your bestest friend now...lol
I can't figure you out.. you took the time to explain.. in MULTIPLE posts.. how to install some fucking spark plugs and other tune-up shit.. and not tell him to search once.. but you tell this kid to search.. not arguin or anything.. just wonderin

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
The reason I explained about the other stuff is that those topics have not been discussed very often, and if searched for will not come up with many topics to read and explain.
But the questions he was asking have been discussed many many times in depth. If you search for CAI, you will get over a thousand threads. Im just tired of typing the same thing over and over again, knowing i've explained it about 30 times.
Now I know its a pain to search, i've been there. How do you think i've learned as much as I know. If you look at the threads I have started, you wont find many with questions. Also another way I learned was by just doing it. Trial and error.
I hope this explains why I do what I do......lol

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nostrodomas said:
The reason I explained about the other stuff is that those topics have not been discussed very often, and if searched for will not come up with many topics to read and explain.
But the questions he was asking have been discussed many many times in depth. If you search for CAI, you will get over a thousand threads. Im just tired of typing the same thing over and over again, knowing i've explained it about 30 times.
Now I know its a pain to search, i've been there. How do you think i've learned as much as I know. If you look at the threads I have started, you wont find many with questions. Also another way I learned was by just doing it. Trial and error.
I hope this explains why I do what I do......lol
I think it's cool that you explained.. just trying to figure out why you no flame the tune-up question but the more 'advanced' Header/Intake/Exhaust question you do "search first plz"

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
What's with people lately??? Anyway chill out guys. Really the exhaust/header topic has been beaten to death. How long it will take to install is proportionate to your skill level and the tolls you have. Asking others is silly IMHO as your scenario is different than everyone else's.... You know what;s involved so get to it.

Secondly I think that he should be told to search. It is a commonly asked and answered question and it was posted in a thread where it was taking the focus off of the original question.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts