Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
NF's Offical Post Whore
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front passenger side of my car makes clunking noises and rattles the car while I accelerate. I think it could be a bearing but I'm not sure. My question is is how long would it take to fix a bearing and is it a do it yourself job or should i bring it to the shop? Thanks -James

·
Flux Capacitor is the key
573 Posts
You sure its clunking noises???? Cause I had the same problem too, and it was just the stupid dash vibrating!!!

·
NF's Offical Post Whore
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no im pretty sure its in the wheels not the dash or motor mount. it is pretty distinct where it is coming from. I may be wrong tho

N

·
0 Posts
Yea check the right hand side motor mount.... If your bearing was that worn out your car would handle like crap as well as getting the clunking noise...

·
Registered
249 Posts
it may be a cv boot

·
NF's Offical Post Whore
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea I do need new CV boots, but every time I order one from Auto Zone they give me the wrong this (CV Seal?) So I havent gotten one yet. This happened 3 times so I gave up. A kid working there also asked why I didnt opt for the 1995 Sentra SER and told me that I should have over the GXE. Then we debated for about 10 minutes before he proved that the 95 SER was on his computer. Anyway I hate that place now. Thanks tho, I didnt realize that it would shake the car so much without one I just thought they were nothing important, I'll order them today.

·
Registered
393 Posts
cv boot is just the rubber thing that goes over the cv joint. the cv joint is what makes the clunking sounds. its your drive axle. they probably gave you the right part. o. and hes a moron. there is no 95 sentra se-r its a nissan ser or 200sx ser

·
NF's Offical Post Whore
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I needed a CV boot because it is torn and leaking. He gave me the wrong part. At the time it wasn't clunking just leaking some wierd stuff and the shop told me to get a CV boot. Anyway I'm gonna fix that noise in a week or two. Thanks for the info. -James

·
Registered
205 Posts
The joint is 'supposed' to last the life of the car, or so I'm told anyway, but one thing I do know is if the boot gets torn, the CV joint will fail inevitably because that goop was the lubricant and in a sense the CV joint got arthritis :D

Typically the boot gets torn due to people working on the brakes and when they put the shield back on or while working around the breaks with tools and are not careful they/you (whoever does the brakes) can tear the boot fairly easy since it's basically just rubber. Also if you have a malicious garage they can just tear the boot since it's not an obvious part unless you make a point of looking at your suspension every day and expect you back in a week or two for a little more service, heh, sadly that's not as uncommon as it may seem.

·
Registered
126 Posts
are you positive that is the problem?? cuz on my car, I had a loose lug. I was putting back in my system and had the left wheel off and tightened them all properly. The only thing is that sometimes they tend to break loose and that causes a rattling noise. It can destroy a lot of things so be careful if thats the problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts