Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just 2 days ago, my 96 200sx has started to have some issues. Sometimes the car will start up perfectly, and run just fine, and other times, the car will start then immediately die. When this happens, sometimes it will do it 2-3 more times before the car will run normally, and even when it does run, it runs like crap. I took it in to the local nissan dealer, who told me that the entire electrical system was at fault, and would need replaced at the cost of about $2200. Also, when the car was e-checked last, it barely passed (this could have been due to the fact that i just got a performance muffler installed 2 days earlier).

Anyone have any clue if this seems right? Seems like a bit much to me, even if i have to replace every electrical component in the car.

Things that I have tried:

Checked fuel pump - it's ok.
Fuel filter is new.
Tried retarding the timing a bit, so that it is 2 degrees below stock. ( I have had it advanced +2 above stock for about 3 months).
Unplugged TPS sensor - didn't help.
Tried ECU from a 97 200sx - same thing.
Checked all fuses and relays - all were good.

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
did they mean "complete engine electrical harness"???
cause that's a bit too rough, to just deduce it to that being the problem, and don't overlook a possibly sticking idle air control valve, that could cause the car to stall just after start-up.....

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called the dealer, and that is exactly what they meant. They basically want to rip out all the "electrical guts" of the car and replace. I also seem to think that this is just an easy way for them to "fix" any and all electrical problems that they cannot easily deduce themselves.

I shall try to look at / clean the IAC valve to see if that is the problem.

thanks for the suggestion.

·
Banned
395 Posts
sounds just like a problem i am having right now........................sometimes my car will start fine and sometimes start and die off...and sometimes not start at all, some people tell me its the fuel pump, but i ran a cable directly from the battery to the pump and works fine..........(in fact, since my car is so unreliable, i have a switch on that cable that i flip on every time i wanna start the car and leave the switch on so that the pump gets constant electricity, i checked the fuse(fine) and the fuel pump relay(replaced)....new fuel filter.......what can it be? seems similar to qwiksmooth's ish.....can it be the fuel pressure regulator? help us...please:rolleyes:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh check this out. My boy and I was removing my old alarm system and he managed to cut a wire or something to cause my car to not even start. It turns over but apparently my fuel pump isn't getting fuel......anyhow your telling me it cost 2200 to get all the electrical wiring done? How much for the harness itself?

·
Flux Capacitor is the key
573 Posts
HOLY JESUS!!

2200 dollars does seem like a lot of money to waste to getting that electrical problem fixed. But I really don't believe you have to get the WHOLE thing replaced!! I can almost say that this thing is the fault of one minor problem in the ecu, or fuel injectors, or spark plugs somewhere. Heres an example:
When you have christmas lights...you take out one bulb in those lights, the whole thing nearly goes out right? Do you have to replace the whole thing for that?? NO! Just that one faulty bulb. Yeah I kinda did some electrical engineering here and there...

Anyways...if you are planning to give it to the dealers make sure you put little "white" marks everywhere you see wiring, to make sure you get what you paid for dude!!!. Don't get ripped off by them. Put a little "white mark" on the ecu to make sure you get a new ecu put a little "white mark" on anything electrical...even under the dash as well Couple of white marks on the wires and make sure you remember where they are!!!...Whatever happens make sure you get your money's worth!!!! Who cares if the engine starts, for 2200 dollars your promised a whole new electrical system!!!!

·
Flux Capacitor is the key
573 Posts
Like I said before the electrical problem can be as small as one little wire being burnt up or something. You remove one bulb from your christmas tree lights and what happens? the whole thing nearly stops working. This is how it is for circuits too, most likely one little cut wire and the whole system stops working, most likely the same with your car.

***ADVICE:
1.) Recheck everything yourself first. Start with the battery and work your way to the ecu, making sure everything is properly connected and there are no loose wires or connections.

2.) Make sure all wires in your car are safe and secure. Check for any wires that are bare(skin pealed back on wire and copper showing) or cut. If you see any cut wires mend them together. If you see any wires that are bare then wrap them around with black tape.

4.) IF!! you have a (voltmeter), theres should be a setting on it that checks for continuity in your wires to make sure the wires are not cut.

5.) A chiltons Sentra book sure comes in Handy at this time. For 10 bucks its the greates investment you will ever make!!!!. In it they have the whole electrical diagram for the sentra. See if you can find the problem yourself first. Check all the wiring

6.) IF!! you can't find the problem or you don't want to even go through this hassle then do the white mark thing and take it to the dealer! Whatever happens don't get ripped off of your money.

White mark trick: IF your going to give your Sentra to the dealer...and they say "We're going to redo the whole electrical system for $2200". Just make sure you get what you paid for. By applying a little white out to every electrical item you have on the car you can see what the dealer changed and what he didn't changed thats all. Don't forget the ecu. Apply it to a couple of wires here and there also. Also, don't forget where you applied the white out as well, keep a little list so you know where you applied it too...Hey its just an advice!

*****IMPORTANT NOTE: BEFORE DOING ANY ELECTRICAL CHECKING. MAKE SURE YOU DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FROM THE CAR. REMOVE THE NEGATIVE(BLACK) END FIRST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ******AND DON'T EVER TURN THE CAR ON...WHILE YOUR CHECKING THE ELECTRONICS, EVER!!!!!!!EXTREMELY IMPORTANT

·
Banned
395 Posts
chilton books

yea, those books are prolly the best investment u can make for your car, since they are less than 10$ and pretty much explain everything about your car, even tho some parts are confusing or dont make that much sense

1 - 10 of 10 Posts