Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Ive got a pickle 4 an arm
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm under the impression that stock SE-R springs are stiffer then XE. it would make sense anyway. my question is, and i don't see why not, would SE-R springs fit on stock XE 4dr shocks? i'm not looking to lower the car, just give it a bit sportier ride.

Can SER springs work with XE 4dr shocks???

P.S how much would stock SE-R springs go for, out of a 92? i want to check out how good a deal i'm offered.

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
FYI, B13 SE-R springs are 132 lb/in front and 109 lb/in rear. You should get SE-R struts, too, as I think they are stiffer than XE parts. Truthfully, SE-R struts and XE springs might be the best deal for sporty yet liveable ride, not that the SE-R has a stiff ride by any means.

Rule-of-thumb for street cars is the softest springs that will hold the car up with the stiffest shocks and swaybars you can fit. This is from Herb Adams, GM suspension designer.

·
Ive got a pickle 4 an arm
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so are you saying that ser springs won't make any positive difference in the suspension?

i'm not really looking for optimal preformance at the moment. these springs sort of "appeared" and the price seems right.

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
Sorry, I don't peruse the forums on the weekend due to dial-up at home.

so are you saying that ser springs won't make any positive difference in the suspension?
No, they will make a difference. I was just pointing out the extreme. As for positive, that's not for me to decide. I installed 300 lb/in front and 200 lb/in rear springs on my SE-R and regretted it. They certainly did improve handling a little but ride suffered a lot. For a street car, I felt they weren't a positive improvement over stiffer struts and sway bars. For a track car, they were most definitely a positive improvement.

I don't have my FSM handy, so I don't know the XE spring rates. I suspect you won't notice much difference. The operation is relatively easy and good practice, though.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I'll be going with some new oem SE-R struts f & r in the near future. I agree with Bruce, stiffer struts and bigger sway bars along with stock spring rates work best on the streets...:)

·
Registered
842 Posts
So if I were to use agx adjustables with the stock springs on my XE...
This would be a great streetable combination?

Will the car handle like a go-kart or will I still teeter to one side when I round a corner at 30MPH

I like this idea and it would save me a ton of $$$.:D

I had originally planed on using coilovers, but my car is totally street driven, so why even bother.

·
Registered
638 Posts
You may wanna go with the kyb gr-2 struts instead, they will work better with the stock xe springs. The agx's seem to work better with stiffer shorter aftermarket springs. The gr-2's run about $45 each from tire rack, and are the way to go if you're going to stick with the stock springs...:)

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
sentrapower93 is correct, the AGX are too stiff for stock springs even on their softest rebound setting, in my opinion. They are designed for stiffer springs.

Also, they would not do much for body roll in turns.

Big tires do the most for grip, while sway bars enhance handling. Sway bars wll reduce body roll but they work against the spring, so they're limited in just how much roll they can counteract. Go-kart handling requires very stiff springs.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Well, I'm totally set on getting AGX adjustables. So I guess I'll have to get some aftermarket springs too... or coilovers. That’s cool though, I originally planned on using Ground Control coilovers, anyway. I guess it will all depend on the price.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Its a fact..

that kyb agx are stiffer and for aftermarket lowering springs check out theyre specs, thats why theyre adjustable

1 - 11 of 11 Posts