Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
nissan??? whats that
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know about the ser cat and the random tech cats but when i put my stromung on will it fit my regular 1.6l cat? i plan on buying a new cat in the feature but for now...will it work? i couldnt fin a direct answer for this.

btw i have stock header..stock cat then my stormung has short mid-pipe

·
Registered
361 Posts
slow200 said:
I know about the ser cat and the random tech cats but when i put my stromung on will it fit my regular 1.6l cat? i plan on buying a new cat in the feature but for now...will it work? i couldnt fin a direct answer for this.

btw i have stock header..stock cat then my stormung has short mid-pipe
Hi slow200,

I've recently purchased a Stromung exhaust.. from previous posts and asking some of the "experts" i've learned that the 1.6L cat that you've got is the same as the SE-R cat. So it will fit.. there won't be any issues there.

·
nissan??? whats that
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Uni said:
Hi slow200,

I've recently purchased a Stromung exhaust.. from previous posts and asking some of the "experts" i've learned that the 1.6L cat that you've got is the same as the SE-R cat. So it will fit.. there won't be any issues there.
THank You ..I guess this means im putting her on today then!!!

·
nissan??? whats that
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well wes.. remember when i had the timing/dist problem.. im not sure if i added this part to the post. One night while driving home i pulled over becuase it was really bad. almost no power. well i popped the hood and the exhaust manifold was glowing red. im not sure if bad timing would cause this but from prior experience a glowing mani. usually means bad cat. well today i got my car retimed and now she runs just fine...no glowing headers. so im assuming thebad timing/dist was what made it glow

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
slow200 said:
well wes.. remember when i had the timing/dist problem.. im not sure if i added this part to the post. One night while driving home i pulled over becuase it was really bad. almost no power. well i popped the hood and the exhaust manifold was glowing red. im not sure if bad timing would cause this but from prior experience a glowing mani. usually means bad cat. well today i got my car retimed and now she runs just fine...no glowing headers. so im assuming thebad timing/dist was what made it glow
If the cat was bad you;d have other issues other than that, I have to say it must have been due to timing issues, glad you got it fixed and didn't break the car in the process!

·
nissan??? whats that
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wes said:
If the cat was bad you;d have other issues other than that, I have to say it must have been due to timing issues, glad you got it fixed and didn't break the car in the process!
haha me too. there was one point where the car just stopped working and sat in my drive way fro a week thank god i didnt try to ghetto rig it. today i took it out for a drive after i had gotten done timming it and it died and got all sputtery. i was like wtf?.. here i am stranded on the side of a busy road. so i open the passenger side door and pull out the ecu and do a self diagnosis right there on the side of the road only to find out it was code 0102 maf sensor malfunfction. i got out popped the hood and the damn sensor was unpluged..i guess i accidently bumped it on the timng reset but when she died on me i thought for sure id be getting an sr20... :thumbup: but i got my hopes up

·
Registered
361 Posts
When you start looking around at the other crappy exhausts others are riding with.. you'll start to recognize the nice finish and shit that the Stromung has

Edit: After the Stromung exhaust+HS headers i hit 110HP, i thinkt hat's a record for a non-turbo GA

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Uni said:
When you start looking around at the other crappy exhausts others are riding with.. you'll start to recognize the nice finish and shit that the Stromung has

Edit: After the Stromung exhaust+HS headers i hit 110HP, i thinkt hat's a record for a non-turbo GA
I want to see that dyno.... And if you hit 110 WHP with only those mods it is good but not a record for a non turbo GA.

·
Registered
361 Posts
wes said:
I want to see that dyno.... And if you hit 110 WHP with only those mods it is good but not a record for a non turbo GA.
Oopz, didn't mean HP, i meant, MPH :D

I don't know how much HP i have, not worth the dyno time to check it out, noticeable difference though, louder, etc

·
Registered
19 Posts
Uni said:
Oopz, didn't mean HP, i meant, MPH :D

I don't know how much HP i have, not worth the dyno time to check it out, noticeable difference though, louder, etc
i hit 121mph in my ga on the gps with only a cat back and k&n filter (didnt have CA yet) i found if i let off a litle bit it went a little futher y is that

·
nissan??? whats that
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wes said:
This is not a top speed thread, stay on topic!
woot i got the stromung on and its all hooked up damn it is def worth the money. now all i got to do is tack up the heat shield so it stops the rattle

·
Registered
306 Posts
so, is that the sound that i hear, whenever i drive out?
i have a hotshot header, w/ the stromung setup. i do hear a rattle, but its not a big deal, i see no leak coming out. I guess its the sound of the header like you said, i might have to put on a heat shield.

·
nissan??? whats that
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
my heatshield is what is making the rattle but im sure if i bend it around and add some heat wrap to the resonator twhere it is contacting the body the noise will stop

·
nissan??? whats that
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
slow200 said:
my heatshield is what is making the rattle but im sure if i bend it around and add some heat wrap to the resonator twhere it is contacting the body the noise will stop
well i found that the heat shield isnt the noise maker. There is a gas tank support brace that holds up the gas tank. My stromung is hitting that right before the midpipe to axel back connection and made a fairly large bend in the brace. i went to the local thrift store and bought some fiberglass/bondo/tape idk what it is but it was soft and heat resistant. anyway just wrap the beam in the material and the noise is gone.

·
Registered
361 Posts
slow200 said:
well i found that the heat shield isnt the noise maker. There is a gas tank support brace that holds up the gas tank. My stromung is hitting that right before the midpipe to axel back connection and made a fairly large bend in the brace. i went to the local thrift store and bought some fiberglass/bondo/tape idk what it is but it was soft and heat resistant. anyway just wrap the beam in the material and the noise is gone.

Well dude,

Myself, xbrandonx, and NINETY-NINE-SE-L have had this exact same problem. They have resolved to banging the heatshield enough to gain clearance so there'll be no more rattle (xbrandonx) and NINETY-NINE.. i'm not sure what he did.

I had this problem.. and it pissed me off so much that this 500 dollar exhaust was RATTLING. The thing is that Scott at Stromung probably made a whole batch of 'em on the same jig.

I'm almost certain that if you get teh shorter catalytic converter you will eliminate the clearance/rattle problem.. that's exactly what i did.. and it lined up PERFECTLY. If you look at it carefully.. all you need is an inch and a half of clearance.. and that's what you get 'back' when you put on the pre 98 model catalytic converter.

So anyway, what year cat do you have.. if you know. Hopefully my problem and solution is the same as yours.

Uni

·
nissan??? whats that
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Uni said:
Well dude,

Myself, xbrandonx, and NINETY-NINE-SE-L have had this exact same problem. They have resolved to banging the heatshield enough to gain clearance so there'll be no more rattle (xbrandonx) and NINETY-NINE.. i'm not sure what he did.

I had this problem.. and it pissed me off so much that this 500 dollar exhaust was RATTLING. The thing is that Scott at Stromung probably made a whole batch of 'em on the same jig.

I'm almost certain that if you get teh shorter catalytic converter you will eliminate the clearance/rattle problem.. that's exactly what i did.. and it lined up PERFECTLY. If you look at it carefully.. all you need is an inch and a half of clearance.. and that's what you get 'back' when you put on the pre 98 model catalytic converter.

So anyway, what year cat do you have.. if you know. Hopefully my problem and solution is the same as yours.

Uni
my heatshield isnt and wasnt ever contacting. It was this beam that supports the gas tank. it is a very large thick metal beam. it makes contact just before the rear section of the exhaust right as it goes over the back axel

1 - 20 of 31 Posts