Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i just had a question question. I have this co worker, she has an audi A4 1.8T, she told me that while in las vegas a specv pulled up next to her and she looked at him like if he wasnt shi*. My question is, How fast is the A4 compared to the specV is it a lot of difference in speed wise? I have a specV of my own and it pist me off that she said that about the specv. If its about the same i want to hit her up and shut her up. I looked it up and what i found is that the A4 has 170hp and 166lbs tourq. which one is faster?

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
If you can shift well you will beat a newer A4 pretty easily. If it is an older A4, you will rip it a new one. If you Spec is bolted, it will be an even bigger slaughter.

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
but if she has mods she's not telling you about...she'll rape you.

AT THE TRACK of course.

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
chimmike said:
but if she has mods she's not telling you about...she'll rape you.

AT THE TRACK of course.
Well of course at the track. ;)

IRRC that 1.8t is the same engine in GTIs. Good engine but the car is a fat boat.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
thats why im a fan of turbos tho (this my be abit ingnorant so fill me in if im wrong) with the turbos you can turn up the boost alittle and get more HP rather than with N/A you need to buy a new intake and exhaust setup. if your bossted you could just buy a new boost controler and take it up to say 12psi....and thats what? $50?

·
Registered
871 Posts
1.6pete said:
...if your bossted you could just buy a new boost controler and take it up to say 12psi....
then your car blows up and you have to buy a new engine.

Some engines can handle higher boost, some go bust. You really have to upgrade internals for high boost. Especially on pump gas.

·
Registered
34 Posts
turbos love cold weather. higher elavation is better for it, so ive heard. also, u can beat any 1.8t depends on the driver. audi/vw auto grouppes are heavy ass cars. i wouldnt worry about an A4 niehter, those things are like boats. float in luxury but sacrafice ur speed buddy. kind of a waste putting a 180 hp engine into an Audi. it just doesnt go together.

alf

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
1.6pete said:
thats why im a fan of turbos tho (this my be abit ingnorant so fill me in if im wrong) with the turbos you can turn up the boost alittle and get more HP rather than with N/A you need to buy a new intake and exhaust setup. if your bossted you could just buy a new boost controler and take it up to say 12psi....and thats what? $50?
IIRC with the 1.8T, a new ECU gives something like 50WHP on the older and 60+ on the newer. They can handle it. Chipped GTIs with the 1.8t, exhaust and a good drivers have been known to be landed in the high 13s.

and any car tested in higher elevation will be slower, turbocharged vehciles even more ;) if you look at some road and track test articles in high elevations, you will see rather quick lux/sport cars taking 8-10 seconds to reach 60.

·
Registered
28 Posts
As a former 1.8T owner, yes a $300 chip/93octane will put you at close to 16psi vs the 9 or so psi from the factory, and the internals are fine until you get over 250hp, it's the DV valve that will go first plus the trannies are shit. VW rates the 2002+ 1.8T's at 180hp, 176tq. Dnyo'd my stock 02 1.8T GTI at 195hp, 196tq (15% loss), and with a chip she did 230hp, 245tq (15% loss), and all that torque was available at about 1800rpm. That ain't too shabby. But wheelspin was ridiculous, and getting anything close to a good launch, with or w/o the traction control was impossible, plus there's always the fear of the tranny and diff fragmenting.
Intake and exhaust will add another 10 to those numbers. And FWIW there are high elevation chips made to keep performance gains close to that of sea level burns.

Now that being said, the early 1.8T's in VW's were 150 hp, and depending on the engine code, some couldn't be chipped, and those that could saw a good 50-60# gain on torque and hp. Audi's have always had the higher boost program stock (compared to VW), and so the numbers will be close to what I gained if chipped. BUT- Audi's are hella heavier, and especially more so if it's Quattro.

So, if your friend's is unmodded, with the Spec's short gearing you'd whoop some ass off the line. Driver skills will definately play alot in this too.
Something tells me you'd have no trouble against her.

·