Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at my second home today (Advance Auto) and thought this demonstration of the stock air filter vs. the K&N was pretty cool. Even though the guy probably thought I was a weird-o...I took some shots with my camera phone.

Here is the stock filter (paper). You will notice the golf ball sitting at the bottom. There are two fans that are forcing air into the container. I personally tested both. The stock filter clearly gave barely (if any) air flow as you can see by image (#1). The golf ball sits at the bottom.

By taking the filter out, the golf ball flies to the top, and putting in the K & N filter didn't change things as you can see here:

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
interesting demo
is the tube tapered ?
Well its worth mentioning that my 3.5 L Pathy has the same Air filter element as the 1.6 Sentra !!!
Since the Pathy makes 240 HP one can assume there is plenty of flow.
SO what filter were they using ?
Could you get a new one off the shelf and try it, maybe they clogged up the paper one??

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
interesting demo
is the tube tapered ?
Well its worth mentioning that my 3.5 L Pathy has the same Air filter element as the 1.6 Sentra !!!
Since the Pathy makes 240 HP one can assume there is plenty of flow.
SO what filter were they using ?
Could you get a new one off the shelf and try it, maybe they clogged up the paper one??
I checked it, not sure what car it was for,but it was just like all the others.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would deff suggest the K&N filter, I bought one but used it for about 2 weeks then switched back to my cone because I LOVED the deep growl sound when you step on the gas. If you didnt get the K&N yet I would DEFF suggest it . You feel a difference and if your not plannin on going turbo or doing mods to your intake like a custom cold air intake like I did, its deff worth it now mine sits around haha

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
i would suggest AGAINST the K&N.

get a DIFFERENT company that simply uses cloth or paper.

the oiled cloth K&N's actually draw oil into your intake. this over time narrows your intake, allows oil into the A/F mixture, and the oil can also plug your MAF sensor giving false readings causing the car to run incredibly lean.

·
Registered
1 Posts

the oiled cloth K&N's actually draw oil into your intake. this over time narrows your intake, allows oil into the A/F mixture, and the oil can also plug your MAF sensor giving false readings causing the car to run incredibly lean.
I agree with it get some different company that uses cloth or paper..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dang, I was planning on buying K&N's filter tomorrow.

Has anyone tried the drop-in air filter by Blitz?
My friend said it uses cotton...something like that.

What about AEM?
I remember seeing an ad stating they don't use oil for their filters...

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dang, I was planning on buying K&N's filter tomorrow.

Has anyone tried the drop-in air filter by Blitz?
My friend said it uses cotton...something like that.

What about AEM?
I remember seeing an ad stating they don't use oil for their filters...
K & N 's are lifetime warranty. I've used them for years. They look cool and flow good. If they caused issues they wouldn't be so popular. Heck, what do you think nascar uses?

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Last I saw they use carburetors !!!
No MAF's

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
You lost me. Carbs on what?

K & N 's are lifetime warranty. I've used them for years. They look cool and flow good. If they caused issues they wouldn't be so popular. Heck, what do you think nascar uses?
Carbs on Nascar !!

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,033 Posts

I'll vouch for that. I tried the K&N filter on my 91 240sx; did several 0-60 stop-watch runs; no improvement with the K&N. The very fine oily mist did cause problems with the MAF. Luckily I was able to clean the hot wire.

yeah not sure. I thought some were EFI? I miss the carb!
Nascar uses carbs.

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
I'll vouch for that. I tried the K&N filter on my 91 240sx; did several 0-60 stop-watch runs; no improvement with the K&N. The very fine oily mist did cause problems with the MAF. Luckily I was able to clean the hot wire.

Nascar uses carbs.
yeah, the AEM dryflow is one of the best brand name options, if not the best. it's a cotton oiless filter.

and nascar uses carb because it's easier to tune on the go. and easier to fix in a pinch. EFI takes hours of testing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts