Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if there's much of a difference in performance gains between the 2 sets of headers and cai's, or does it come down to more of a personal prefrence? The stillen parts seem to be somewhat higher priced for sure.

From what I've been able to dig up Stillen claims 15hp and 7lbs torque gained (max) while hotshots header is roughtly 12/12.
Not sure what the numbers are for the stillen intake, so if anyone has them please let me know ;)

Looking for any pros & cons between the two makes

Thanks,

Tigs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
headers

Hotshots header is one piece and I believe stillens header is two piece. The two piece design should be better. I would wait for aebs they are doing a two piece design with a high flow cat.;)
 
G

·
stillen header

i just installed a stillen header and whooooah baby!!!! there is a serious gain mid through top of rpm range ... also my friend has a h.s. header it is a 4-2-1 design as where the stillen is a 4-1 design the stillen unit is definitely worth the extra cash even my friend with the h.s. unit thinks so. i also have a stillen rear section exhaust an aem intake and eibach springs and my car ran 14.9 @93 mph so far...... i probably will do better but back to the header .... from what i saw i gained about .5 second with the stillen unit definitely worth it!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
dont freak out in a few days if you start noticing a power loss.
you might consider relocating the knock sensor to the firewall.
i posted a thread in here somewhere about how to do it.
the reason you will want to do this is that the sensor is a tad too sensitive and it mistakes mechanical harmonics as detonation and retards the timing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
red SE-R said:
dont freak out in a few days if you start noticing a power loss.
you might consider relocating the knock sensor to the firewall.
Would you recommend relocating the sensor even if the header hasn't been installed? Also, does it make a diff if there is only 91 octane available locally vs 93 I see everyone talking about?


Tigs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
Tigs said:


Would you recommend relocating the sensor even if the header hasn't been installed? Also, does it make a diff if there is only 91 octane available locally vs 93 I see everyone talking about?


Tigs
relocating the knock sensor is really not necessary until you have a header although the knock sensor can act up when the car is totally stock. If you do this make sure to run 91 octane or better. My sensor has been relocated for about two months no problems at all.;)
 
G

·
Hi, I am new to this board and am curious about this question! I have found the hot shot header and it looks VERY simple to install and is only $400 and says it gives about 12hp and 12tq!!

Where do I find the Stillen header? How much?? what gains??

Also why do I keep hearing I need to do something with the knock sensor when installing a header??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
03SpecV said:
Hi, I am new to this board and am curious about this question! I have found the hot shot header and it looks VERY simple to install and is only $400 and says it gives about 12hp and 12tq!!

Where do I find the Stillen header? How much?? what gains??

Also why do I keep hearing I need to do something with the knock sensor when installing a header??
You can find the stillen header at stillen.com. Stillen is not known for posting the gains their parts make. Relocating the knock sensor will keep your car from limiting the timing advance due to the overly sensitive knock sensor;)
 
G

·
relocating the knock sensor is really not necessary until you have a header although the knock sensor can act up when the car is totally stock
I've installed a hi performance muffler and just had a little bit of piping done. Not a cat back or anything, Although i am gonna ask the guy who installed my muffler to custom make me some piping to the cat. that has a larger diameter. My Exhaust sounds awesome and aggressive. At first i had a gain of power that i could feel. The stock muffler felt congested. so i felt a slight difference. but i think i may have lost some power since then. May this have something to do with the knock sensor?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
specvracer said:


I've installed a hi performance muffler and just had a little bit of piping done. Not a cat back or anything, Although i am gonna ask the guy who installed my muffler to custom make me some piping to the cat. that has a larger diameter. My Exhaust sounds awesome and aggressive. At first i had a gain of power that i could feel. The stock muffler felt congested. so i felt a slight difference. but i think i may have lost some power since then. May this have something to do with the knock sensor?
It may be the knock sensor but the only way to tell is to check it with a consult II. Your perceived power loss may be due to reduced back pressure which makes you lose some low end torque.;)
 
G

·
AHH! I see i think it may be reduce torque at the low end...haha I just bought an AEM CAI and i guess that will reduce low end more but oh well its about mids and highs nobody drives at 10 mph anyway HAHA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
specvracer said:
AHH! I see i think it may be reduce torque at the low end...haha I just bought an AEM CAI and i guess that will reduce low end more but oh well its about mids and highs nobody drives at 10 mph anyway HAHA
most mods will make you lose some low end power, but you will see a gain at the top end. So its a trade off. Personally I think losing low end torque is a good thing(less wheel hop)
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top