Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Evil Moderator
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rob and Ben got me from 2.18 to 2.37GHz. But I played around some more and got to 2.43 GHz. I'll post a bit more on it tomorrow.

BTW, It's an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ on an L7S7A2 board.

David

·
Pimpin the BigDaddyMobile
486 Posts
ok i got a xp 2200+ and i got keep the damn thing cooled
its a 1.8gb process and I hard it to 1.99gb but it would get to 70 dc as soon as i started to do stuff

avg temp is around 50dc

·
Registered
195 Posts
FatBoy4 said:
its a 1.8gb process and I hard it to 1.99gb but it would get to 70 dc as soon as i started to do stuff

avg temp is around 50dc

wow your avg temp is hot

my 2800+ is overclocked and gets to 50 when under serious stress ... avg is 39-43 c

what kind of thermal solution are you using?

·
Mercenary
248 Posts
cryption said:
doin good david

Hey Ben. If I put it under heavy load, I got booted so I had to back it back down a bit. If I increase the cooling on it like we talked about last night, will it keep the processor temp down enough to bump it back up? I'm also thinking of changing thermal paste. What do you suggest? I'm also going to up from PC2700 to PC3200 maybe.

·
Registered
195 Posts
d_warner said:
Hey Ben. If I put it under heavy load, I got booted so I had to back it back down a bit. If I increase the cooling on it like we talked about last night, will it keep the processor temp down enough to bump it back up? I'm also thinking of changing thermal paste. What do you suggest? I'm also going to up from PC2700 to PC3200 maybe.

yeah if you get a better cooling solution than you can bring it back higher

Arctic Silver 5 is the best for the money

sorry i didnt get back to you on AIM, i basically passed out from exhaustion

·
Registered
218 Posts
FatBoy4 said:

avg temp is around 50dc
You can try lapping your heatsink. I was able to lower my average temperature by 10 degrees C (AthlonXP-Mobile 2600 1.9 GHz overclocked to 2.4 GHz) and took 12 degrees C off my friend's CPU (AthlonXP 3200 - not overclocked). The Mobile cpu doesn't break 49 C at max load.

I used a lapping kit from http://www.easypckits.com/ and bought an extra pack of low grit sandpaper from wal-mart to even out the base first. Both of the heatsinks were concave (the edges wore down first before the sandpaper scuffed the middle) to begin with and were far more efficient once lapped.

·
Registered
195 Posts
yeah i laped my heatsink as well .. and with arctic silver 5 it's pretty good deal. The heatsink i have itself is pretty badass .. it has a copper core and the interior is drilled all the way down to the core so the fan blows right on it

http://store.yahoo.com/directron/va4c7040.html

it's also TMD and that's awesome beacuse it's quiet since there is no bearings and sends some serious speed and puts out mass airflow

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
But was the speed increase noticeable? Rule of thumb says you gotta double speed to see it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
A few things here. At these speeds David, you now also need to be looking at things like memory timings, active (fan based) cooling on your chipset, lapping (as stated), memory heat sinks, voltages for CPU and RAM, and case airflow. All these small things together make a difference all together. It is just like a car in most aspects, that search for the nirvana of sheer outright performance. All of my systems usually become franken-PC's in this persuit of "nirvana" before they get retired to server duty. As for recomendations on anything listed here just fire away. It would be kindof intersting to see everyone put out their collective "bag of triks". Who knows, maybe we can all learn something new.

P.S. Dont forget that when you are done with the hardware that you have the software next!

·
Registered
306 Posts
FatBoy4 said:

avg temp is around 50dc
Same processor and O/C, but my temps float around 39-43c with a cheap heatsink. I would be careful at temps like that, one wrong move and Pffft.....

·
Registered
218 Posts
rob'sae said:
A few things here. At these speeds David, you now also need to be looking at things like memory timings, active (fan based) cooling on your chipset, lapping (as stated), memory heat sinks, voltages for CPU and RAM, and case airflow. All these small things together make a difference all together. It is just like a car in most aspects, that search for the nirvana of sheer outright performance. All of my systems usually become franken-PC's in this persuit of "nirvana" before they get retired to server duty. As for recomendations on anything listed here just fire away. It would be kindof intersting to see everyone put out their collective "bag of triks". Who knows, maybe we can all learn something new.

P.S. Dont forget that when you are done with the hardware that you have the software next!
Good point man, I totally forgot to mention I have heat spreaders on two sticks of 3200 (the memory isn't overclocked since it's made to run at 200 MHz) and the lapped heatsink shown is an aftermarket Thermaltake model. Without these items in particular, the system would be far more difficult to overclock.

·
Registered
306 Posts
cryption said:
try the Thermaltake Volcano series
I have seen a volcano cooler do some massive overclocks, (but sound like a jet engine) you might want to look into case cooling first. If your case is over heating a bigger/better heat sink/pipe will do no good. You have to get rid of the heat all around. Cooling a processor or vid card with warm air does little. A hole/fan on the top of your case can do wonders! Also look at air flow. Do you have p-ata cables blocking airflow? Try re-routing them out of the way, or get rounded p-ata cables as long as they are 24" or less. (any longer and they tend to "crosstalk" a little too much and you loose performance due to error correction and re-transmission.) A hole on the side sucking out, or pushing in if you have enough exit airflow. Remember, in on the lower front, out from the top/rear. A lower overall case temp keeps everything cooler. On top of the performance gains you also gain reliability with lower temps.

Ben, I have tried the Omega drivers for my AIW9800 Pro but keep having problems when I use TV or vid capture. I ended up going with stock ATI drivers and radlinker for the overclock/tweaking. I just finished tweaking and played some farcry for about half an hour with a proc. temp at 43c!! I need a better MoBo and mem so I can push this baby UP! My Hdd's sit at 40c and power supply at 38c. The heatsinks on my vid card processor and memory are burning though!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts