Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else experienced stiff downshifting into lower gears, particularly from 3rd to 2nd gear? I can go from 5th to 4th and 4th to 3rd very smoothly, but the shifter doesn't want to slide into 2nd gear smoothy. I think it tends to happen more when it's cold but am not positive about that. Haven't seen any TSBs on it, so am wondering if anyone else has experienced it?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Never noticed anything unusual. Most cars don't slide right into lower gears, but usually a blip of the throttle to match RPM's is all that's needed. Next time I'm in it I'll check.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does blipping the throttle actually work? I thought it was all about the syncro's in that the car will not go into a gear if the syncro determines the engine could not handle it...sorta like trying to drop to 1st when moving at 50mph...the syncro will never allow it.

I think the poor shifting may just be a cold weather thing in that the gear oil is not warmed yet.

Just a thought...

·
Registered
38 Posts
In past vehicles I've had I would blip the throttle and it usually slid right in, but those were rear-drive vehicles. Never noticed a problem in the Alty.

Good point about the fluid temp. I spent three years up in northern North Dakota and I used all synthetic fluids. It made a big difference in the winter time when the temps got and stayed below 0 degrees F for extended periods of time. It was still stiff shifting but much better than regular gear oil.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Runnin' Scared said:
In past vehicles I've had I would blip the throttle and it usually slid right in, but those were rear-drive vehicles. Never noticed a problem in the Alty.

Good point about the fluid temp. I spent three years up in northern North Dakota and I used all synthetic fluids. It made a big difference in the winter time when the temps got and stayed below 0 degrees F for extended periods of time. It was still stiff shifting but much better than regular gear oil.
Good point try changing the fluid, If your in cold weather stiff shifting can be normal. Try using lighter weight oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts