Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question that comes up every day thats annoying is lowering springs for the B13 and B14 Sentras.

These cars have very little wheel travel and cannot be lowered more than 1-1.5" without badly affecting the ride and handling. H&R spring are way too low and too soft, so are Eibach sportlines and even the less low prokits.

Get these only if you are into looks, the car will ride the snubbers in a turn and handle poorly. B14's have so little rear wheel travel that they will ride very bad as well. This is a rice mod.

The only lowering springs that are any good for B13 and B14's are the hypercos and they must be teamed up with a decent shock like a KYB AGX. They have decent spring rates and will really turn your car into a G machine.

Eibachs and H&R's will work well only when using Motivationals shortend struts and shocks for conventional shaped springs with Motivational/koni foam bumpstops and the Motivational rear shock mount for B14's. These will let you get your wheel travel back and even give a real nice ride.

Anyone asking these question over and over can now get flamed!

Mike

·
Boxed Fox
1,313 Posts
shift_of_legend said:
I could be wrong because my research shows that Tein s.tech are meant to work with stock shocks.
This seems to be the cause of a lot of confusion. When Tein says that they're meant to work with stock dampers, it means that they will fit struts that have the same dimensions and mounting points as the stock dampers. It's a combination of them mistranslating from the original Japanese label and them not explaining things thoroughly enough in English.

The similar goes with Eibach. If you read the German manuals, they indicate that their drop springs are built to work with some cars' stock dampers, but not all (it specifies "not all"). They also caution the buyer that they should check with either the dealer or Eibach to ensure that the stock dampers can be safely retained.

Yes. It helps to be born into a family where the primary language is Japanese and your father is a quadralingual nut. :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the Tokico package on my 93 E. They are the blue ones that come with both springs and shocks. They rock. I had them on my car for 4 years now. I also had some 17 Inch ADR's (205/40/17) and they rubbed a little bit but it wasn't too bad. It's hard to believe the H&R's are too soft and low. H&R's are the best spring on the market.

·
Boxed Fox
1,313 Posts
ryan said:
I have the Tokico package on my 93 E. They are the blue ones that come with both springs and shocks. They rock. I had them on my car for 4 years now. I also had some 17 Inch ADR's (205/40/17) and they rubbed a little bit but it wasn't too bad. It's hard to believe the H&R's are too soft and low. H&R's are the best spring on the market.
Put your car on a skidpad (or find a big open parking lot in the middle of nowhere and make one), and you'll find out exactly what everyone's talking about.

·
Registered
136 Posts
ryan said:
i had them on my b14 and they were shitty......no offense to those that have em....so i got the tien basics set up and the ride is smooth and i lowered it 3 inches in the front and 2.25 inches in the back....if ur gonna lower your b13 or b14, better do it the right way the first time...it'll save u money and be a lot safer on the road....

·
Registered
306 Posts
i'm going to lower my car, once i put on my 17in. only cuz i don't want that big gap and I don't want to have the front of my car look higher than the back.

The tein basics look like a good idea, what esle would i need.. i read around, and am still unsure on what to do.

b14 sentra gxe

·
Registered
12 Posts
morepower2 said:
A question that comes up every day thats annoying is lowering springs for the B13 and B14 Sentras.

These cars have very little wheel travel and cannot be lowered more than 1-1.5" without badly affecting the ride and handling. H&R spring are way too low and too soft, so are Eibach sportlines and even the less low prokits.

Get these only if you are into looks, the car will ride the snubbers in a turn and handle poorly. B14's have so little rear wheel travel that they will ride very bad as well. This is a rice mod.

The only lowering springs that are any good for B13 and B14's are the hypercos and they must be teamed up with a decent shock like a KYB AGX. They have decent spring rates and will really turn your car into a G machine.

Eibachs and H&R's will work well only when using Motivationals shortend struts and shocks for conventional shaped springs with Motivational/koni foam bumpstops and the Motivational rear shock mount for B14's. These will let you get your wheel travel back and even give a real nice ride.

Anyone asking these question over and over can now get flamed!

Mike
This may be a stupid question but what's the difference between a lowering spring and a coilover?

·
My ass, your face
3,520 Posts
az3098 said:
This may be a stupid question but what's the difference between a lowering spring and a coilover?

do a search on this one because this question is really easy.

·
Boxed Fox
1,313 Posts
az3098 said:
By "lowering springs" we mean springs which physically fit onto stock, stock replacement, or aftermarket strut/shocks which lower the height of the chassis relative to the ground.

"Coilovers" usually refers to a kit that includes a set of springs, a set of spring perches, and dampers (or a set of sleeves that will allow you to use your aftermarket strut/shock of choice), which gives you height adjustability.

On a side note, a "coil-over damper setup" is technically defined as any setup where the damper is placed inside the spring. This means that your stock suspension system or anything resembles it is a "coil-over damper setup". Also note that I used the terms "strut/shock" and "damper" in the above paragraphs. Technically, "struts" and "shocks" are all dampers. I just used different terms to emphasize that there is a difference between an aftermarket strut/shock meant for stock or lowering springs (like the KYB AGX's) and a height-adjustable "coilover" damper (like the dampers used in the Tein SS kit).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well i installed Megan racing springs with Tokico Hp's on new years eve and what a hell of alot of difference it made.

Feel :

The car is completely flat through turns, there is only a hint of understeer when rocketting into turns and this will be sorted out once i get a camber kit.
The ride is a LITTLE (i have to stress how minute this is) bouncy, but i figure i need to give the springs time to settle.

Look:

Gone is the disgusting gap in the wheel well, even with my 15's there is very little space in the front and there is absolutely no space in the back, and this is with 195/50/15's on. Arguably though the back is dropped too low cause there is really no gap at all left above the wheel while there is still a little in the front.

All in all everything came up to about $350 and its greeeeeeeat value for money.

·
Boxed Fox
1,313 Posts
skets said:
The ride is a LITTLE (i have to stress how minute this is) bouncy, but i figure i need to give the springs time to settle.
A word of warning, this could get better or worse. The reason is because it isn't the springs that "settle". Unless they're very poorly made or you change the physical properties of them, springs do not lose spring rate over time (although they will lose free length). It's the dampers that break in. This means that two things could happen:

The first is that your setup is currently overdamped (damping rates too high for the springs), and that the dampers need to "soften up" a little to match the springs. This is the situation that people usually experience with fully adjustable coilover setups, and this is what you want to happen.

The second is that your setup is actually underdamped (damping rates too low for the springs). When your dampers break in, they will become even "softer" and the bouncing will get worse. This is what happens when people put drop springs on OE replacement dampers. You do not want this to happen.

I'm not going to make any predictions on your particular setup, but I'm going to put that warning out beforehand just so no one jumps to any conclusions.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm thinking of the H.tech setup with kyb GR2' or tokico shocks.

I like the lowering height. 1.7 in front and 0.6 in rear.

the 190 lb ft in front seem soft but the 250 in back seem fine.

I'm thinking of choosing these over megan racing sincee the lowered height is more conservative.

any predictions?

I'f I could afford tein BASICS I would buy them. But by time shipping and duty get tagged on, the price would fully get bumped up to over $1200.

Jamaicas duty is 45% on car parts then their is tax and weight penalties.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts