Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My steering wheel vibrates most of the time and is really bad when the car is going 60 to 65. The tires have been rotated and balanced. What could it be? Any suggestions?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How loud do you play your music ? ;)
My car has the same problem but, the solution is not under the hood, its in my trunk where my 2 12"s are...

seriously, i have no clue how to solve your prob.
sorry

·
P.O.S. Truckdriver
2,070 Posts
i have the same problem. had new rims/tires and the front end aligned and it still vibrated. on the interstate at about 80 or 90 it stops though. no one knows whats wrong with it. it's not a big deal to me...got use to it.

·
hYpNoTiC
370 Posts
help me out 2

This might be stupid ? but my shakes every time I slow down especially if I am going like 30-40 to 0. Anyone know what the deal is with that?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to get my car looked at on tues for my first annual M.O.T. over here in England. I'm going to ask the guy that is going to do that for me about what he thinks it could be. Just alittle annoying sometimes. It acts like my non-power steering rover that I drive.

·
Registered
126 Posts
hey I get the same problem. I'm pretty sure it might be the brake rotors. They might be warped. Do you also get a loud airplane sort of sound while just cruising?

·
PB JELLY TIME!
1,484 Posts
Same problems here. Steering wheel shakes above 70mph, and my car shakes when I slow down from higher speeds.

·
what?
2,704 Posts
Hmmm,
Well, if alignment checks out, and if your tires are round and the suspension is set correctly, and you only feel the shudder above 65, then it probably isn't brakes, or steering assembly. That you would feel at any speed, especially if you are braking. My guess is bearings. My dads cadillac used to 'hobble' at speeds over 65. Make sure your wheel bearings are in ok shape. Dirt, water, corrosion, a funny bump, or just old age could make it act funny when asked to spin fast.

Seth

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
No sounds coming from brakes or anything. The only loud thing on my car right now is the intake that makes a hissing noise and has a resonate sound thats really loud. My friend said it might be the bearings too. I guess it could be even though the car has only 48500 on it. I'll check that out. Thanks.

·
Registered
490 Posts
usually if your wheel vibrates from 30-45 it's balancing... 45-about 65 is usually alignment, especially if your car 'drifts' to one side. 65+ is either alignment or halfshaft balance issues. I also own a 1995 350hp grand am (that's right, 350hp grand am..) and I HAVE to get the wheels balanced on the car. If you have half-shaft problems then balancing and aligning won't help. It costs me about $50 a wheel to do this and I only needed the front done. Solved everything.

Typically if your steering wheel shakes when braking it's from warped rotors. Be sure to have your rotors turned/shaved when you change your pads or this will usually happen.

·
Registered
490 Posts
no, they leave everything on (including the tire) and balance it "on the wheel" ... so instead of taking off your wheel and balancing just the wheel, it balances everything that is spinning (half shaft, trans even...)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll see about getting that done to see if it fixes the problem. Thanks.

·
P.O.S. Truckdriver
2,070 Posts
ok....i just got a new left front tire and then rotated the left side tires and my vibration is gone. WIERD. maybe they didnt balance the rim right the first time or i had a bad tire. either way...it's so much more enjoyable to drive with a steering wheel that doesn't shake you to death.:D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lube Slides

Hey i had that problem after i replaced my brakes without lubing the slides....try some high temp brake lube on the slides where the pads and brackets meet......works wonders......try it

Chris
aka Manytoys
97 Nissan 200SX SE-R
94 Dodge Stealth R/T
90 Plymouth Laser RS
87 Chrylser 5th Ave
76 Dodge Power Wagon

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
just my experience

Hey....glad to hear it.....probably bad belts in the tires or they werent balanced right......i didnt read all the posts so maybe you already said they were balanced. I just did my front brakes without lubing the slides and i had an extreme vibration around 40-60 mph......but wasnt there before or after that. Well thats my 2 cents and my experience.

-Chris
aka Manytoys
97 Nissan 200SX SE-R
94 Dodge Stealth R/T
90 Plymouth Laser RS
87 Chrysler 5th Ave
76 Dodge Power Wagon

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had my tires rebalanced over here in England and that solved my problem. Pretty bad that some shops don't do their job right. Oh well just glad that the annoying vibration is gone. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts