Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone swap out their steering wheel? I'm looking at aftermarket sw's (Sparco, Nismo, etc.) and wanted to know if anyone had good/bad experiences with them? Advice on what I should look out for?

Thanks!

·
even better the 2nd time
2,719 Posts
it's a PITA from what i know

Sparco and Momo are the only ones who make adapters that will fit IIRC

but in turn, those adapters will fit most aftermarket wheels' bolt patterns

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heck I'll pay for the professional install. No WAY I'm tackling that thing on my own.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
if you get into an accident and have a new wheel with no air bag, expect to get the shaft when you start makeing claims...........

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As opposed to getting the shaft from insurance company if I weren't in an accident?

1.6pete said:
if you get into an accident and have a new wheel with no air bag, expect to get the shaft when you start makeing claims...........

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
jdub said:
As opposed to getting the shaft from insurance company if I weren't in an accident?
huh :confused: im saying when you take away any safety device in your car and you are hurt, things wont go very smoothly at all. i also belive it is illegal to remove any factory equipped safety device from your road traveling car (race car is exempt from this)

·
I command you to SEARCH
2,748 Posts
Contact SpeedWare in Redmond, or World One Performance in West Seattle.
Tell em' Sean with the Sentra sent ya'.

The Sparco hub is on back order, so just order a Momo one. As Radioaktiv stated, they are pretty much universal for the steering wheels.

My Sparco Lap3 wheel cost me $250.00 from SpeedWare.
SpeedWare's phone # 1-425-869-5680
http://www.sparcousa.com/psteering_street.asp?id=153

I also picked up one of these niffty quick releases from World One Performance
www.worldoneperformance.com

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Funny you should mention Speedware. That's where I was gonna go. What's the quick release used for?

·
I command you to SEARCH
2,748 Posts
It allows me to remove the wheel with the pop of a button.
This design also allows me to re-attach it at any angle.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
jdub said:
Funny you should mention Speedware. That's where I was gonna go. What's the quick release used for?
you can take the entire wheel off in a matter of seconds like a nas car driver. makes fr great theft deterance too.

^posted at the same time :thumbup:

if i get my b13 without a bag i am going to get a quick release for the theft issue.

·
I command you to SEARCH
2,748 Posts
1.6pete said:
you can take the entire wheel off in a matter of seconds like a nas car driver. makes fr great theft deterance too.

^posted at the same time :thumbup:

if i get my b13 without a bag i am going to get a quick release for the theft issue.
Yea, the theft deterant is a big bonus, but it's also cool as all fuck :D

·
Da Dirty South
115 Posts
BIRM_200SX said:
It's also very illegal in all 50 states to defeat/remove any saftey equipment, including airbags.
What about if you wreck and your airbags deploy, BUT little or no damage is done to your car. Airbags are expensive for any vehicle. And what if you don't want to spend the cash to replace it, but want to keep the vehicle. This situation happend to my dad a few months ago. Is it illegal NOT to replace the airbags if you choose to keep the car?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'll double check on this, but I do believe that the car has to be repaired to the point of where it once was. Trust me, being forced to have airbags suck, but my brother sure lives by their name. When he had his first wreck, he said he wouldn't say a bad thing about them again. He hasn't yet. Airbags are expensive and more and more of them are being put in cars today. They aren't a bad thing to have, but I think it would cost less to make driving schools more strict and regulated. You goto the right school and DMV, a blind man could get a license.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Nissan200sx said:
What about if you wreck and your airbags deploy, BUT little or no damage is done to your car. Airbags are expensive for any vehicle. And what if you don't want to spend the cash to replace it, but want to keep the vehicle. This situation happend to my dad a few months ago. Is it illegal NOT to replace the airbags if you choose to keep the car?
These laws will vary from state to state so there is no universal answer to this. I would recommend visiting your local law library and/or doing some research on line.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
BIRM_200SX said:
I'll double check on this, but I do believe that the car has to be repaired to the point of where it once was. Trust me, being forced to have airbags suck, but my brother sure lives by their name. When he had his first wreck, he said he wouldn't say a bad thing about them again. He hasn't yet. Airbags are expensive and more and more of them are being put in cars today. They aren't a bad thing to have, but I think it would cost less to make driving schools more strict and regulated. You goto the right school and DMV, a blind man could get a license.
i agree 100% but accidents still happen no matter how good a driver you are and when you do i would want all the protection i could have. granted i will be buying a b13 without one but if i did have one i wouldnt remove it.

·
Da Dirty South
115 Posts
Good point, the only reason I ask is that about 6 months ago I found out that helpful post about annoying airbag light. Strangely when I had to diagnose a check engine light, I took it to the local Autozone and had it hooked up to a scanner: (1.) EGR Interuppt. Oddly that was the only error code present. I thought that the problem was an impact sensor. Surely that would have had an error code, right?

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
take it to the dealer. if you disconnect your bag you will have a constant CEL on i would think.

·
Da Dirty South
115 Posts
1.6pete said:
take it to the dealer. if you disconnect your bag you will have a constant CEL on i would think.
Excelent point, I'm gonna leave the airbags in. No sense in messing with it right now. Too many other projects goin' on right now.

·
I command you to SEARCH
2,748 Posts
My Sentra see's very little road time anymore. Sad, but true...
If it were still a daily, I might be a bit worried about not having the airbag.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts