Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just picked up a 97 Nissan XE with the 4 cyl, 5spd...104,500miles. It has a new battery since 1/09 installed by the previous owner ("Ever-Start" garbage). So tonight I go to fill up with gas, and after filling, the truck is dead. I get it jumped off by another car. I drive to Auto Zone to have the battery checked out. As I'm pulling into the parking lot of Auto Zone (3-4 miles away from the gas station), the truck stumbles and dies as I'm coasting to park. We check the battery and it is completely dead, no surprise there. So my first thought is alternator... We install a new battery, start it, and then while running, disconnect the positive wire on the new battery. The truck is still running, so I think that eliminates the alternator. Am I right?? We did an alternator test and it read 7.9. The Auto Zone guy was not confident in his testing machine, however, and he said it read a faulty reading earlier this evening on a good alternator. My next guess is that something is draining the battery while the truck is parked (over night, during the day or what have you). Right now, the truck is in the driveway with the battery disconnected so nothing can drain it down over night. I have to take it to work in the morning.

Do you think I'll be OK tomorrow during the day? I have to use my truck throughout the day.

Please help with any advice??

Jon

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yes, remove it and get it tested, also, with the truck OFF (KEY REMOVED), pull the ground cable off the battery and touch it to the ground terminal on the battery. If you have nothing on to drain the battery, there wont be a spark/electrical "zap".If there is, something is loading the system and must be found.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
update...

so this morning, i reconnected the battery, and she fired right up. I let it idle for a good 15min before I decided to journey off with it. I drove it roughly 40miles with not one problem. Then all of a sudden, the truck died completely. The lights still worked though. I jumped it off, and it started right up. I let it run for a few minutes and then killed it. It would not start again without jumping it. Later on in the day, I noticed the alternator/fan belt was loose. So I thought the alt pulley was not turning the whole time. I installed a new fan belt, and she seemed to work great for about 3 hours of running around(about 10 times start and stop the truck). I then start on my 40mile trek home. I get about 35 miles and the truck died again. i jumped it off to get it on the trailer and it started right up. It rests in my driveway now.

My next plan is to pull the alternator out this weekend, and have it checked out. I am guessing that I'll be replacing it with a new one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts