Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I have a 1997 nissan sentra and I've been having troubles with it starting, it only happens about once a month so theres no way for a mechanic to duplicate the problem. When I go to start it, you can turn the key and it turns and the dashboard lights come on but theres no sound of the engine trying to crank at all, like a dead battery, its not the battery though. The past two times this has happened ive tried it 3-4 times in park and nothing happens, the moment I put it in neutral it starts right up. Ive taken this to the nissan dealership and before I knew about putting it in park I had them look at it and I asked them to check out the starter and alternator and they said they could find no problems. I don't know if its an issue with either but this is what people were suggesting to have the mechanic look at, since its only starting in neutral when the problem comes up do you guys have any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks for any help you can give

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Is it meant to start in nuetral ? I thought they had to be in park. I dont have an AT so ??
So that suggests the switch that detects the shifter is in park is bad, misspositioned etc.

·
Nissan Technician
826 Posts
I think your park/neutral safety switch is bad! It's located on the trans, hooked up with the shift cable!

·
Registered
86 Posts
i am glad that i found this thread because i just had my car towed to a local auto garage and im having them look at it...i thought it was the starter or the ignition itself, i never tried to start it in neutral tho... and like a week before it finally wouldnt start anymore it sounded like it would barely turn over....then it got so bad that i had to give it gas so that it would give even the tinies spark...not its completely dead....wtf is goin on here? when i get it back ill post the answer to you guys....

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
replace it yourself, got a jack and stands ?
its not hard, and depending on the engine/trans combination you have can be Ok to difficult to get to. Starter with a lifetime warranty is about $150 from auto parts store like Autozone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts