Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello am new to the nissan world and trying to figure out the issues in my girlfriends 93 240sx. It has some sort of starting issue where when you turn the key it will some times just click. After turning the key numerous times the car will finally turn over and start but sometimes the car will start right up. Can anybody help? I think that it is the starter or the ignition coil but am not certain.

·
Registered
58 Posts
93Cleopatra said:
Hello am new to the nissan world and trying to figure out the issues in my girlfriends 93 240sx. It has some sort of starting issue where when you turn the key it will some times just click. After turning the key numerous times the car will finally turn over and start but sometimes the car will start right up. Can anybody help? I think that it is the starter or the ignition coil but am not certain.
The first thing you should do is clean the battery terminals if the connection is bad there it can cause the exact symptoms you described. If you don't know baking soda mixed with some water works well for this and also will neutralize any acid that may have leaked out of the battery and caused the connection to corrode in the first place. hope this is all thats wrong if not sorry...but it won't really cost you anything except a very small amount of time. good luck :thumbup:

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,109 Posts
Nik33615 said:
The first thing you should do is clean the battery terminals if the connection is bad there it can cause the exact symptoms you described. If you don't know baking soda mixed with some water works well for this and also will neutralize any acid that may have leaked out of the battery and caused the connection to corrode in the first place. hope this is all thats wrong if not sorry...but it won't really cost you anything except a very small amount of time. good luck :thumbup:
If that doesn't fix the problem, make sure the other ends of both battery cables are clean and secure. Finally, if all else fails, the starter or starter solenoid may be bad.

·
LUCKY SLIDES 2 2/25/06
504 Posts
rogoman said:
If that doesn't fix the problem, make sure the other ends of both battery cables are clean and secure. Finally, if all else fails, the starter or starter solenoid may be bad.
most likely the starter cylinoid has gave up life. a friend of mine has a tercel that does that exact thing and we replaced it and no problems

oh YEAH mine 100th post

Don

·
Tarmac Terrorist
272 Posts
Yeah Do all of the above, you may want to pull the starter out and file down the metal where the starter mounts to the Bellhousing, take a wire brush to the Positive Terminal on the Solenoid and all of the other wire connections, if it is not a bad starter, it sounds like a Poor connection somewhere.
All of the above are great suggestions too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts