Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a 1992 sentra 1.6l automatic. After the car has sat for a while, usually overnight, it is very hard to start. After getting it to idle, if I push on the gas it bogs down and dies. But if I let it run at a rough idle for a minute, it smooths out and runs fine the rest of the day. I've changed the cap and rotor already and I'm waiting for the new plugs and wires to come in. It started doing it about an hour after my sisters dumbass boyfriend hosed the engine down with degreaser and hosed it off. But it ran fine for the hour or so afterwards. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. It's my moms car and I'd hate for her to have to pay some $50-$70 an hour mechanic shop to tell what the problem is.

·
Banned
809 Posts
Fuel filter, O2 sensor.. or sparkplugs.. check all 3.. the Fuel filter could be dirty, and clog up and not give enough fuel.. the 02 sensor could be compensating for dirty exaust, so it lacks up the fuel.. that PLus a fuel filter being dirty is like. instant shutdown.. then the sparkplugs.. thats for bad gas mileage really..

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've changed the fuel filter, pcv valve (line was clogged with rusty flaky crap), cap and rotor. I replaced the water pump the other day along with all the cooling hoses and belts. Besides the starter, alternator, battery, brakes, plugs, oil, and air filter everthing on the car is still original. It has 153k+ miles on it. I ordered an o2 sensor with the plugs and wires from NOPI the other day. I hope to get them by Friday. I'm just wondering if the degreaser sprayed on the engine could have messed up a sensor somewhere or something. And now the AC compressor won't engage. But it was working last night.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No check engine light and air filter is dry.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK changed plugs, wires, cap rotor, o2 sensor, fuel filter, air filter, pvc valve. Now the car starts fairly easy, but idles irratic if you try to give it gas. If you hold the pedal to the floor, the car revs up to about 2500-3000 rpm and drops and goes back up again. I stood at the exhaust pipe while it idled and it sounded like a horse trotting. (dah,dah,dunt......). If I can't figure it out by Sunday night I'll have to take it to a shop Monday. I really hate to do it because she just spent $325 for the parts I just replaced and the water pump and all the coolant hoses.:( And that was all this past week.

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
I w0onder if its the TPS. I'm not sure it's possible for them to get wet though, I'd assume they are sealed.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm starting to think it might be a sensor somewhere. I wish I knew which one there's so many of them. My buddy told me to check the air intake hose and see if there's a hole in it somewhere, but I doubt that's it. I guess I'll find out after I take it to the shop Monday. I'll post the shop's answer after they figure it out. Thanks anyway guys.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, got it back from the shop today. Problem was a bad distributor. The gasket around the cap was half gone on the bottom side. The mechanic said dirt, water, or something must have gotten in through there. Picked up a used one for $95. Car runs fine now. Thanks for trying to help anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts