Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my 1994 4X4 Pathfinder developed a starting problem yesterday, well its starter has been acting up i believe , every now and then id turn the key and nothing at all would happen, just a click. After i turned the key a couple times it would start, yesterday it did the same thing but it has not started yet. There is no click or anything, i know the battery has 12.6 volts and terminals are tight, i took a test light to the soleniod on the starter and the TOP terminal on the soleniod has constant power, and the BOTTOM terminal has nothing, even when my GF turned the key... im sure the bottom terminal should have something ??? I have also tried tapping it with a hammer.. any suggestions ?
Thanks Alot:confused:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Did you try and jump it with another car? 12.6 isn't really that much juice. Have the battery tested first, then go to the starter next. Most auto parts stores will test the battery and the starter if you bring them in to the store. If not one of those then maybe a crank shaft sensor. It will cause the truck to not start.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Starter

Well ive tried jumping the truck with another truck and a battery pack, i know the battery is fine, im thinking its either the soleniod or a wiring problem , like i said the truck would start fine but every other day it would just not start and i would have to turn the key raipidly on and off and it would start up... i know the top soleniod terminal has constant power, and im sure the bottom one would have to have some current going to it when the key is turned on ... but there is nothing at all... and also that starter looks like a pain in the ARSE to replace.... lol :confused::confused:

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,236 Posts
The problem could be due to the following:
- Bad solenoid.
- Bad clutch interlock relay.
- Bad clutch pedal position switch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Starter

Thanks, its an Automatic so i'm thinking its the Soleniod, ive tried turning the key over and putting the truck into N and PARK , still nothing... does anyone know if that bottom soleniod terminal is ever supposed to have any voltage to it ? and any tricks on getting that damn starter out ? lol thanks
:confused: ALSO can anyone tell me where the starter RELAY is ??? thanks

·
Registered
430 Posts
You only have power to one terminal until the interlock is engaged and then power goes through the starter to the ground. Your interlock relay is right behind the air box, the ignition is just a fuse. As for pulling the starter I haven't seen it, so you have a better view than I. Usually they aren't to bad, but I had to pull the starter on my Saab to get at a pump and that wasn't fun going blind to get a bolt. Good luck. get the manual from Knowledgebase - Service Manuals - Nissanhelp.com Then you can see what i'm talking about in the EL section.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
starter

Thanks boogy, really helpful. So if im not getting power to the second terminal but i have constant at the first terminal... that means its either the relay, soleniod, or something in the wiring from the switch to the interlock relay ?? I checked all the fuses and visual wiring under the hood and at the starter everything looks ok, no broken wires or anything... and when i turn the key should that relay behind the airbox click ? or when i turn the key on ?
thank you :confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
starter

Okay i found the 2 relays behind the airbox, one is a regular looking relay and the second one is much biggger, one of the wires on the bigger one always has power, and the wire in the middle of the relay only has power when the key is turned all the way to start.. so im guessing thats the interlock...BOTH relayz click when i turn the key to ON , NEITHER of the relays click when i turn the key to START ... any suggestions ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
starter

Also does anyone know how i can straight wire (jump) the starter so i can see if the starter engages when i straight wire it? that will let me know if its a wiring problem..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
starter

Well i got the starter out, wasnt that bad pepboys called for 5.5 hours labor i got it out in 25 minutes... just got to unbolt the pitman arm and drop the steering assembly and it comes out... i guess im off to have it tested...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I fixed the starting problem , I had a bad soleniod so I took the starter out and cleaned it real good with brake cleaner and replaced the soleniod and buttoned it all back up and it starts fine... =)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well my 04 is doing the same thing and has been for some time. Doesnt happen often, but once it a while it's just a click like you said. So the starter wasn't to bad to pull out? Looks like a nightmare!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts