Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
U

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 92 Nissan Sentra 1.6L. It runs great and been a great utility to me.
The problem I face with my car is when it gets wet either during a car wash or heavy rain. When wet after a wash, it is hard to crank start and takes a couple of days before it cranks back again. When wet during rain, it takes about a 4-5 hours to crank back again.
Unless completely dry although it starts the idling is jerky.
Distributor cap and spark plugs have been replaced recently. It has not helped fix the problem even after replacing the distributor rotor, cap and sparkplugs. Does any one have a clue as to what could possibly wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
was the problem there before you did tune up? or did it appear after? did you replace distributor rotor?
I would say re-check plugs and wires and put some electric grease inside the wire sleeves where they touch spark plugs
 

·
Doodeee doodee doodee doo
Joined
·
1,495 Posts
if it's none of the above, you can also check your oil cover. Maybe moisture is getting into your air intake? Are you running a custom intake or the stock?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Not sure if this will help, but once when I was doing an under the hood detailing, I accidentally got water on top of the engine where the fuel injecters are. The car would not start! I left the hood up a couple of hours and it started, ran rough a few seconds and then the problem never returned. Hopethis is of some help.
 
U

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks for all your feedback. Right now I am trying to avoid the car getting wet but in future if I encounter this problem I will check the fuel injector as well as the oil cover. I might do that very soon let you all know the results. But if any one else has encountered this problems and has been able to fix it, please do let me know.

Thanks to all
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
haha strange...when wet...something must be getting through to the engine. i'm surprised the old ones have this problem because newer cars have all these electrical wires EVERYWHERE
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
i have the same problem right now with my nx 1600 it happens only when it rains alot and i have to let dry out to start it again if you figured it out please tell me because im sure its the same problem, and i know its not my spark plugs/wires or disturb cap its something else. my fuel pump runs the engine turns but theres nothing.

thanks alot
 

·
B12 Enthusiast
Joined
·
844 Posts
ursbasu said:
I have 92 Nissan Sentra 1.6L. It runs great and been a great utility to me.
The problem I face with my car is when it gets wet either during a car wash or heavy rain. When wet after a wash, it is hard to crank start and takes a couple of days before it cranks back again. When wet during rain, it takes about a 4-5 hours to crank back again.
Unless completely dry although it starts the idling is jerky.
Distributor cap and spark plugs have been replaced recently. It has not helped fix the problem even after replacing the distributor rotor, cap and sparkplugs. Does any one have a clue as to what could possibly wrong.
Is your coil getting wet ? Sounds like it may be grounding out . I had a toyota pickup that suffered the same problem. I used to carry a small can of WD40 with me and if it got wet, I would spray the coil down with it, once the WD40 would displace the water I'd be on my way again. They do make cans of silicone wire dry too you can spray your wires and coil with. :thumbup:
 

·
Come here often?
Joined
·
767 Posts
Replace your Plug Wires.

If you wanna be sure before you replace them, mist them with a spray bottle of water while the car is running and listen for pops and look for sparks. You might get bit but it won't do any permanent damage. :)
 

·
Slashie
Joined
·
394 Posts
BikerFry said:
Replace your Plug Wires.

If you wanna be sure before you replace them, mist them with a spray bottle of water while the car is running and listen for pops and look for sparks. You might get bit but it won't do any permanent damage. :)
Would a leaky vacuum line do this? I heard also that if you spray water in your engine bay while the engine is running, and (without sparks and stuff), it starts to stall, you probably have a vacuum leak. I don't know if that would happen when it is raining or not. I do know that with vacuum leaks, your engine idles ruff, and it may be hard to start, but you'll get a CEL.
 

·
Come here often?
Joined
·
767 Posts
Yeah a leaking vaccuum line could do it. Plugged EGR too. I don't know about spraying water revealing a vaccuum line problem. I'm not saying it won't, I just have no knowledge on this myself. You could probably hear it whistling too. Start feeling around by the EGR for cracks or holes in any of those rubber lines. Make sure your EGR's not stuck too. With the car running, gently lift from the underside on the diaphragm and make sure it moves and bogs the engine when you lift it.
 

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
Joined
·
4,652 Posts
stevja1 said:
Would a leaky vacuum line do this? I heard also that if you spray water in your engine bay while the engine is running, and (without sparks and stuff), it starts to stall, you probably have a vacuum leak. I don't know if that would happen when it is raining or not. I do know that with vacuum leaks, your engine idles ruff, and it may be hard to start, but you'll get a CEL.
without 'sparks' your engine wouldn't be running. :)

a vacum leak should still let the engine start.
 

·
I WANT BOOST !!!
Joined
·
214 Posts
a huh

i had this same exact problem with my 1992 oldsmobile regency 98 elite, when the engine would get wet it would run like shit so me and my pops took a spray bottle sprayed over near the ignition coil and saw sparks arching off that onto my altanator so i replaced two ignitioin coils and the problem hasnt happend since, u should try the good old spray bottle trick, ohh yeah i forgot to add that i stepped on the break and pressed the gas also to get the sparks going u can actually see them arching like crazy well in my case...hope this helps...
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top