Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got my 1990 240sx with a ka24 and the first thing that i did was take out the stock air filter box. Next i want to start getting parts that could boost my horse power (bolt-ons) but eventually end up installing a "blitz 3k turbo." My question is ,"what bolt ons should i get to help me for now but that i can still use later for the turbo?" thanx for any replys
-Alex

.... oh and have in consideration
that money is not a factor. I've
been saving up money. $$$$$$

·
Locked and Loaded
1,227 Posts
well, you could start by upgrading the fuel pump, doing an underdrive pulley, rebuilding the motor completely, a 3" cat back, anything that you wont have to take off once you get a turbo.

·
LUCKY SLIDES 2 2/25/06
504 Posts
KaRdoN said:
well, you could start by upgrading the fuel pump, doing an underdrive pulley, rebuilding the motor completely, a 3" cat back, anything that you wont have to take off once you get a turbo.
x2^ enuff said

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
I've heard that www.nismoparts.com has a good crank pulley too. I just pulled my P/S and A/C and that gives me good underdrive. If you're going turbo, DO NOT keep the stock radiator. It CAN NOT cool a turbocharged motor. I use a Koyo radiator on mine, one of the ones that's made for 91-94 S13. For some reason the 89-90 ones are smaller and more expensive. Also, upgrade to a Nismo thermostat (available at www.nismoparts.com as well) that opens at lower temp. The 240SX cooling system is completely incapable of handling a turbocharged setup. I fried a water pump and melted two coolant hoses figuring this out.

·
Locked and Loaded
1,227 Posts
bridrive55 said:
I've heard that www.nismoparts.com has a good crank pulley too. I just pulled my P/S and A/C and that gives me good underdrive. If you're going turbo, DO NOT keep the stock radiator. It CAN NOT cool a turbocharged motor. I use a Koyo radiator on mine, one of the ones that's made for 91-94 S13. For some reason the 89-90 ones are smaller and more expensive. Also, upgrade to a Nismo thermostat (available at www.nismoparts.com as well) that opens at lower temp. The 240SX cooling system is completely incapable of handling a turbocharged setup. I fried a water pump and melted two coolant hoses figuring this out.
better not be the water pump im getting.. :p

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
KaRdoN said:
better not be the water pump im getting.. :p
The water pump you're getting is from a KA24E, not a DE... Lol.
The KA24E water pump went too, but the one that you're getting is the replacement for that one. Your pump only ran for 50 feet. Besides, you're getting it for free! :)

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
Compression test is relevant, but leaks will become obvious by checking under the car and keeping regular tabs on fluid levels. My DE blew good compression before I turbo'd it, but I soon needed hard coolant lines, the Nismo thermostat, and the Koyo radiator as stated above. I think a good set of mods to do that will carry over to later iterations of engine (for instance, if you plan on turbocharging down the road) should deal with subsystems. Underdrive, cooling system, clutch, LSD, and brakes are great mods to do at this point. Also perhaps a 3" catback to slap behind the frontpipe. I use 2.5" exhaust, and it's nice and quiet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts