Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the problem (a rather odd one indeed). Yesterday morning I go out to start my car, and it turns over and over and over, and finally limps its way to a start. I go to school, after school it starts up fine, no problems. The next morning, it turns over and over and over again, and finally limps to a start again. Why is this only doing it every now and then? Is my battery going dead? I'm very confused w/ this one...

·
Registered
189 Posts
morning has problems but no other times? Hmmm... I know engine have a harder time on cold starts so you may want to see about engine oil thats made fo cold starts but you should have it looked at.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, but today I tried to start it at like 3:00 and it was like 50 degrees...and it did the turn over and over and over and limp to start...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well.... Hmmm Im not exspert as you can tell but from what I have found it could be due to.. Fuel Pump, Battery, or Ignition Wiring. Is your car flashing you a check engine light? If so have that checked to see what the codes tell you. You can have it checked at Auto Zone for free I believe.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, no check engine light. I was thinking the battery, but I'm about to go out and check all the grounds and electrical connections around the car, so I'll see what I can come up w/... but it's gonna be hard to figure out if I fixed it or not, considering it only does it every now and then... grrrrrr.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everything seems to be ok as in ways of electrical connections... So I have no ideas other than the battery being on it's last leg of life. Any other suggestions? Or, any suggestions on what type of battery to get? I was thinkin' Optima Red Top...but any suggestions would be appreciated...Thanks

·
Metal > Rap
668 Posts
Go get the alternator and battery tested, too. Its free at autozone. :thumbup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had a similar problem with mine. Turned out to be the starter motor brushes. Striped it down put on some new ones and no problem since. Just a thought. I would also check the fuel filter, fuel pump, air filter, and plugs just to rule out the obvious...

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah, fuel filter, air filter, and plugs/wires are all new... and as for getting the battery and alternator tested at autozone, went down there today, the machine was broken...so, yeah...

·
Registered
7 Posts
If the car cranks over normally and the car wont start, you have other problems. You could have the best battery in the world and still not start your car. There are two things that you need to check. One being ignition, and two being fuel. You need to make sure that you are getting good spark, and that you are getting a good healthy supply of fuel. Those are what you need to figure out. You have actually got to make sure that there is spark being delivered to the cylinders. You have also got to make sure that the fuel pump is not to blame, i dont know how many miles are on your car, but i would suspect that the fuel pump has never been replaced. Good luck.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my car has 189,250 on it. Yes, I know it's a lot of miles... I highly doubt the fuel pump has been changed, but why would the fuel pump only not work when starting every now and then? If the car starts, why would the fuel pump just decide to work/not work? I'm just confused...

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,476 Posts
240luvr said:
Here's the problem (a rather odd one indeed). Yesterday morning I go out to start my car, and it turns over and over and over, and finally limps its way to a start. I go to school, after school it starts up fine, no problems. The next morning, it turns over and over and over again, and finally limps to a start again. Why is this only doing it every now and then? Is my battery going dead? I'm very confused w/ this one...
Two basic things to check in the morning when motor is cold:

1 - Ignition. Pull off ignition wire boot from any plug and plug it into a loose spark plug; lay the plug on the valve cover and have someone try to start the car while you watch for spark at the electrodes. As an option, you can test every ignition wire this way.

2 - Fuel. An easy way to test the fuel pump and filter is to disconnect the fuel hose from the top of the fuel filter and insert a long length of spare hose into the top of the fuel filter with the other end draped over the fender going into a catch can placed on the ground. Now turn the ignition key to the run position but DO NOT START THE ENGINE. You should see fuel going into the can at a good rate for a short period of time.

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
rogoman said:
Two basic things to check in the morning when motor is cold:

1 - Ignition. Pull off ignition wire boot from any plug and plug it into a loose spark plug; lay the plug on the valve cover and have someone try to start the car while you watch for spark at the electrodes. As an option, you can test every ignition wire this way.

2 - Fuel. An easy way to test the fuel pump and filter is to disconnect the fuel hose from the top of the fuel filter and insert a long length of spare hose into the top of the fuel filter with the other end draped over the fender going into a catch can placed on the ground. Now turn the ignition key to the run position but DO NOT START THE ENGINE. You should see fuel going into the can at a good rate for a short period of time.
OR, to test the fuel system, use starter fluid. If your engine fires when starter fluid is jetted into the intake, but dies shortly thereafter, you have a fuel problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts