Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 Sentra 1.6L base model, 199,000 miles. Lately I’ve had problems starting the car once it’s been driven for a while and is warm. I can always get it to start normally in the morning but if I drive around and say go get gas the car won’t start back up. I can hear it cranking fine and sputtering but not turning over. At this point it has left me stranded with no vehicle to get to work. Please help

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,440 Posts
Based on your description alone, it sounds like the distributor is failing. If you can duplicate the no start condition, you should check for lack of spark to the plugs to confirm it's an ignition problem. If you suspect a fuel issue, you can spray carb cleaner into the intake and then try to start to see if it will fire.
When the distributor fails, often it will do so when it gets hot and then start working as it cools down, which is what it sounds like in your case. FYI, this engine also has a crank position sensor on the transmission bellhousing, but it is solely for ECM monitoring and will not cause a drivability concern if it goes bad.
If you do determine it's the distributor, it's always best to stick with genuine Nissan, if possible. Definitely be careful if you intend on purchasing from Ebay as they are a lot of very cheap but low quality or even counterfeit parts sold there. NissanPartsDeal.com and CourtesyParts.com are two, reputable online Nissan dealers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the info. I will see if it is spark or fuel problem. Just last year I replaced the distributor with one off of rockauto so I guess maybe it’s just started to fail. Will try to narrow it down Saturday when I can get it to a garage and will post an update.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well..... I figured out the problem today. I opened up the distributor to see if I could spot any oil leakage and to my surprise found that my rotor had cracked open where it screws into the mounting point. Went and got a replacement cap and rotor, now my starting problem is gone so far! Thanks for your help

1 - 4 of 4 Posts