Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, new Nissan truck owner. I purchased a 1992 2.4L 4x4 with 280k on it and would like to make it over 500k. However, I'm having some issues starting it. I replaced the battery after trying to jump start it, but the battery was fine. I replaced the ignition switch and the truck started up great the first few times. It sat for a week and then I couldn't start it again. I am not getting any lights in the dash, no clicking or any sort of noise. When I turn the key the dash clock dims and then resets itself. I replaced the ignition switch again, but that didn't help it to start this time. I have checked the fuses under the driver's dash. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
:confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
check you connections for the positive and negative terminals at both ends. probably corroded at the starter or have a bad ground.
Thanks, I'll check that out. I noticed when I changed the battery that the cables were a little corroded, so I cut them back a little bit. When I installed the new ignition switch it started right up without any problem, so I didn't think it would be the cables.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I changed the battery cables today and the issue is still there. Anytime I turn on anything electrical (dome light, headlights, etc.) the clock goes dim and resets itself. The negative cable was too short to attach to the ground on the engine so I attached it at the midpoint on the passenger fender. Is that not good enough? Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm pretty sure the negative cable needs to be connected to the engine block as well as at the midpoint grounding to the body. Definately sounds like you have a grounding issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts