Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 D21 4x4 King Cab SE-V6 with ~330,000 kilometres on it. Sometimes, lately, it's been icing up overnight and the temperature has gone to about -6 Celsius, or 15 to 20 Fahrenheit, and it usually takes about three or four key turns to get it to start. There's power and lights and the battery is good and I can here relays clicking in, but no turning over. This morning was really bad. I pumped the gas a little and it started, but it may have been a coincidence.

Do these typically have weak starter motors in them such that it's not turning? Could a little frost be preventing the spark? Any suggestions? Starts fine otherwise, and when it's warmed up.

Thanks!

·
Registered
791 Posts
It's probably a bad starter, but try this. Before you start it in the morning turn the headlights on for 30 seconds, off for 30 seconds, then try to start it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Understood, thanks for the replies.

As a side note, my Haynes Manual says the starter is on the passenger side of the engine compartment (This is my first Nissan truck). Can it be accessed from the top or does it need to be jacked up?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
a starters bendix will often fail to engage when it is that cold. the best solution is a little milder climate and I am not being smart. A new battery , starter whatever! you may still experince a problem like this in extreme cold temperatures.
aircraft users have a preheater that they expose the starters to before burning them up due to expense.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Probably something you just have to live with when it gets that cold, when I was in high school, it dipped to 17 degrees here in placerville, ca. The only thing I had to drive was a beat up datsun 510 with dual side drafts, and a near dead starter.

Took 20 mins to get it to fire. No heater too...:eek:

·
Registered
153 Posts
It's probably a bad starter, but try this. Before you start it in the morning turn the headlights on for 30 seconds, off for 30 seconds, then try to start it.
That's good advice for cold weather. It warms the battery,giving it a little more life. I drove truck for several years, and nothing harder then getting a semi to start at 10 or below,if you couldn't plug it in overnight.His quote,is how we did it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts