Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

How do you check a starter and solenoid when it is out of the car?
Like when you buy one at a yard and need to make sure it is worth time and effort.
I got Sentra 92, 1.6, 4speed manual
Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
my solenoid was clicking ok so I thought starter was bad. I took it out just to see how it looked so I could tell at the store if it's it. I put it back in and was gonna push-start my car to go buy a new starter. When I turn the key it worked ok. The cables were not too bad so I think the problem is internal.It's worked several times now. Should I go get another starter after all?
Thanks
Paul

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
You can whack a failing starter and most times it will work. What probably happened was that during your installation you whacked it (umm....I mean wacked the STARTER) and that's why it's working, but you are on borrowed time.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
You can hook a starter up to a battery and check it that way, but be carefull, they've got a lot of tourgue and will twist in your hand. I'd use the positive battery cable from the car you pull the starter from. Check around though, you can probably have your starter rebuilt for like $40-$60 and they might be able to do it while you wait.

Q

·
0 Posts
starter issue....

I had the same problem, "click, click, click". Talked to the dealer to see if I can replace the solendid. Nope, need to replace the starter. Shop around for the best price with a lifetime warranty. Mine cost over $200 bucks a year and a half ago. I have SR20DE motor no wonder it cost so much. Go head and replace the starter, save yourself the headache.

QinSac

1 - 5 of 5 Posts